Players Perspective Free Bass Lessons

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dirk Diggler, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

Hello fellow players,
    I've created a free site with a new way to look at scales.
    http://axeview.com/
    It was shot with a custom rig I created to shoot the neck as if you are looking down at your own neck. I think it's much easier than trying to look at a mirror image from an instructor.

[​IMG]

I'd suggest reading up about it first before trying it as there some unique concepts that might not seem normal at first. But I find them very helpful and hope you do too.

It's built in HTML5 and scales to pretty much most modern browsers, it doesn't seem to care about OS and will scale from phones to tabs to desktops quite easily.

Any questions, suggestions or comments please let me know.
    Enjoy!
    Dirk
  2. BassFuzz24

BassFuzz24

That's a very cool site. I feel like it would have been tremendously helpful to see the bass like this when i was starting out. Really well done.

I have a question though...do you always play your major scale in that pattern?
    I usually play it fingering the root with my middle finger, 2nd with my pinky, 3rd with my pointer on the next string, etc...is there any reason why i should change my major scale pattern to yours?
  3. Already In Use

Already In Use

Another vote for very cool! Nice job.
  4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

as a lefty ... I always see thing in a mirror kind of view and I don't see any problem with that, in fact I found it quite easy to just mimic but at one point shouldn't look at your teacher, at one point is to find by yourself the best way to do it.

Also your scale form are really basic stuff for the 2 or 3 octaves "pattern"
  5. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

Thanks for the kind words, as I say this is just an alternative trying to make it as easy as possible for starting players. And no I don't always play my major scales that way, but I find it easier to teach the pattern concept and it's better exercise for the fingers.

I think my whole point is this could all be done with 1 finger on each hand, I'm not trying to tell anyone which finger to use, hopefully that will end up more natural and the individual gets to choose that.

Ah yes as a lefty I guess my method would make it harder, hmmm, perhaps I could just flip the video for lefties, would that help? Just curious.

This is really meant to be as simple as possible and get people on the ground and running quickly, I plan on adding more if interest and requests require it. It's actually a lot of work to shoot and edit.

Please keep the suggestions coming, it's hard to think of some things when you're so close to the project.

Thanks again,
    Dirk