1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Playing a solo piece on bass with drummer friend - Performance Bass 6 string check it

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by emohair, Aug 29, 2013.

1. emohair

emohair

Hey TB!

http://youtu.be/Qqaufq1s2D0

This is a rough draft of something me and my buddy are going in to record in a studio fairly soon. I wanted to demo the tune/get some video of it as it stands and we were both pretty happy with how our iPhone recording came out haha!

Check it dig, leave comment or hate it - just figured I'd share around these parts.

Peace,
    DT
  2. mansjasont

mansjasont

That was awesome!

Awful recording, but still a great song. I don't listen to much solo bass music, I'm not a huge fan, but this is cool!
  3. emohair

emohair

Haha thanks and YES, the recording quality is not that great. We are doing an in studio video/live recording here in Gville and I wanted to go ahead and get a feel for it before I go in and do the final shot.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Medusaproducer

We are gonna do it in similar fashion as the above videos, I just know the final product will be that much tighter since we've already got something recorded to visually reference and or work out the bumps. There were more than a few misses on my part in the video so I want to clean all that up and watching my mistakes help a lot!
  4. emohair

emohair

Top in-case any else likes this kinda ish - any other solo bass peeps around here? I really haven't been a huge follower of solo bass stuff besides Manring and some Wooten but I just like the idea of playing tunes on the bass that dont exactly need accompanying instruments. I wrote this and a whole bunch more songs similar to it years ago and I'm just starting to do something with em.
  5. BassEnvy78

BassEnvy78

Love it. Got my head bobbing.
  6. emohair

emohair

Thanks BassEnvy78!!! We've been shocked to have any views on that video let alone 200+ hopefully some people are enjoying it.
  7. spcmstrbtasp

spcmstrbtasp Supporting Member

Nice duo stuff guys- keep it coming.

I know there are better ways to record, but I've been really impressed with the audio quality on Iphone recordings lately. We find they are good for capturing ideas at rehearsal anyway, and in some ways more faithful than some studio set ups. I'm not trying to start a debate about it though. I fully acknowledge that there are better ways to record, but I remember trying to record to cassette on an old boombox in the practice space in the 80s, and Iphones do a much better job.

Anyway- what kind of bass is that? Low End?

Spc
  8. Thumpinshelton

Thumpinshelton

Nice work man!!!! Let us know when you do the studio mix. Can't wait to hear it.
  9. emohair

emohair

Thanks for the kind words! I think people are wayyyyy to into the "digital age" and yes, I agree with most people who say "you dont have to make a demo anymore with all the recording technology nowadays". I just dont agree with that in every regard. This is a perfect example, cause we truly needed to demo this piece and if I wouldn't of had the quick capability to set up my phone on a guitar stand and hit record, this take would have never been captured. Instead, it may have been far to over thought out and defeated the purpose of letting us demo the tune prior to officially recording it in studio!

The moral of the story is I think, hate less - create more! I dont mean that in a rude way, but in reality the fact that something was created and captured means I accomplished exactly what I intended to do.

I'm playing my 6 string Performance bass on this one, I've toyed around with using that or my Sadowsky 5...we shall see!
  10. emohair

emohair

Up for anyone interested!
  11. BassEnvy78

BassEnvy78

updated link?

If you have another version, put it up!

Gonna try to play this on my 4 string.
  12. emohair

emohair

The studio version should be done by mid October! We are gonna have to put a bit more effort into it all (audio, video blah blah). It's definitely going down!

I actually wrote this song on a 4 string Elrick that I still regret selling, wish I had one still that could give me these types of tones. I could be a lot more tight with some of the tapping parts if I wasn't trying to mute two useless strings on the 6 string haha. Think I'll use my Sadowsky 5'er for the final product.
  13. Saxn

Saxn

Nice! Hope to hear from you when you get that studio version out... if you plan on YouTubing it would you mind posting it in this thread? I'd hate to miss it.
  14. emohair

emohair

I sure will, no need junking up the board with another thread - I think it'll be cool to see the transformation!
  15. joe vegas

joe vegas

cool tune, man.
  16. emohair

emohair

UGH - SO its 2014 and I still don't have that link to share where we did this in the official studio.

I've been surprised with how many awesome words and likes and whatnot I've received from this clip tho, just bumping to relive the dream of having this done in studio with some additional attention to sound and performance - this was just a demo and it blows me away how many peeps have checked it out!