1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Playing along backing tracks

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Burialist, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Burialist

Burialist

Hey,
    i have learned many different bass lines in last month.
    My wish is that i could play them along with backing tracks, mostly along with drums.
    I was trying to make my own bass loops with drum machine program, but i cant do it good enough becouse i dont have knowlage about how i should do it.

There ARE free bass backing tracks on youtube, but there are
    non for specific song.

So my question is, how can i adjust bass lines that i learned to any backing track if that is possible.

How do you know which drum loop is good for your bass lines ?

Pleas answer if you understand my general question. :help:

I only want to Jam
  2. Burialist

Burialist

if answer to my question is to long for you to write it, but you have net resources , plz send link.

Much thanks !
  3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

If your bass lines, licks, riffs are generic you can insert them so they do harmonize. More on harmonization follows. R-3-5-7 is a generic bass line for any maj7 chord. R-3-5-b7 is a generic bass line for any dominant seven chord. Place the R (root) note over a root note on your fretboard and let the box pattern dictate where the other notes you will need fall.
    Code:
    Major Scale Box. 

G|---2---|-------|---3---|---4---| 1st string
    D|---6---|-------|---7---|---8---|
    A|---3---|---4---|-------|---5---|
    E|-------|---R---|-------|---2---|4th string
    If the bass line you learned harmonizes with the backing track it should sound good. Question being how do you get harmony? OK hang with me for awhile; Picture some piano sheet music. The piano player normally plays the treble clef with his right hand and produces the melody notes. His/her left hand is playing the bass clef and producing the bass notes or bass line that will harmonize with the melody notes. If the two do not harmonize they will not sound good together. Back to how do we get them to harmonize. If your bass line has some of the same notes being played in the melody those two lines will harmonize.

Now here is the good part. If the melody line and the bass line share just one note per bar (measure) you harmonize that bar of music.

Using just root notes (the name of the chord) see if you can maintain a beat with just root notes. Root on the first beat, then when that is flowing do a root on the 1st beat and the 3rd beat. Then see if you can get four roots in as this is a 4/4 time backing track.

Have fun.
  4. Burialist

Burialist

Awsome, you truly are great !
    Your post made me think :), i have add it to bookmarks for further study.

Thanks again !
  5. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

Very nice.