1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Playing along with Youtube tracks

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mblackford, Jan 7, 2013.

1. mblackford

mblackford

Hi, I am looking for some advice. I frequently need to rehearse by playing along with tracks posted on Youtube. What I have been doing is running the recorded track out of the headphone jack on the computer into the tape-in on a small Mackie mixer. Then I run my bass into a channel on the mixer and blend the two together through headphones. I'd like to be able to do this using hardware with a smaller footprint and fewer cords. Is there a better solution, like a tiny USB powered mixer? Thanks!

2. mblackford

mblackford

No replies? How about one of those Behringer single mic preamp USB mixers? Its small, powered from USB, just plug the bass and headphones in. I suppose you'd want to use a DI box, since the input is not hi-z. Will this work?

3. capncal

capncal

i do this pretty often but i just run my headphone out from either my phone or the computer and plug it into either our PA at the practice space or straight into my practice bass amp at the house. just one cord.

a lot of times i'll just listen to the song i'm working on through my headphones, which are super sweet blue tooth that syncs with my phone and just turn my bass up to the point i can hear what i'm doing. no cords!

4. Mushroo

Mushroo

I use either of two solutions:

1. Play back Youtube through computer speakers and bass through my bass amp.
    2. Run headphone out from computer into my amp's Effects Return, which has an adjustable level control.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

I set up a Garage Band track that I can play my bass through, then jam along to You Tube at will. Headphones; so as not to disturb Mrs. Philonius. ;) E-Z Pleezy, if you happen to be on a mac.

7. ErikW

ErikW

Vox Amplug. Works great.

8. bassinplace

bassinplace

This and a wireless system is how I do it, plus headphones out of the amp since I have to practice silently.

9. OneAri

OneAri

It may or may not appeal but have you considered a songsterr plus subscription? It should let you isolate the bass from most tracks,reduce the volume of other instruments or remove them entirely from the track. Its a cheaper alternative to most mixing software...

10. nick98338

nick98338

Yep! That will work.

11. mblackford

mblackford

Thanks for all the suggestions!