1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Playing and singing funk... o.O ????

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Exemonium, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Exemonium

Exemonium Supporting Member

I'm really trying to play and sing funk at the same time. I love singing it, I love playing it, but with all the syncopations I just can't do both at once no matter what. Anyone out there able to do this? If so, how did you approach it?

Also, any artist recommendations that do this? I know lots that slap and sing, maybe that's easier? However, I cannot slap so well. I'm a finger funk kind of guy. Any artists that do the fingerstyle way?

Share how you figured it out, I'll try anything. Thanks much!
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

Check out Les Claypool.

If you can't slap well, I suggest you become an expert at it and then try to add the vocals. TBr Joe Nerve posted a video on Youtube with slapping/vocals. When asked how he could sing and slap, he said that when learning to coordinate the two, if necessary, he had to take it one note at a time, both vocally and bass wise. And practice, practice, practice....and then practice some more.

Edit: Here is Joe's link:
  3. Exemonium

Superb, thank you! Yea I'm working on slap daily, buying books, dvd's, wish there was an instructor in my area I could afford.

...and his bass is really cool
  4. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well! Supporting Member

Stumbo--Thanks man! I had forgotten about that vid!

Exemonium..judging from your locations,I know there's got to be somebody here you could contact locally for instruction..check into the Detroit or Chicago Bassists Clubs maybe?
  5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

this person figured it out!;)

6. Exemonium

Shes very good. But its slap again. The starting part is like a strum, that part I can probably do. I used to front a band playing guitar. I think thats why this is so frustrating, i want to do it. But its the syncopated funky finger style that I can't get. ....nor slapping in general yet Hehe. I'm guessing since its hard to find it, its not so easy for most anyone.
    As far as my locations, Chicago and Detroit are once in a while visits. But I bet I could afford maybe one lesson a month from someone in Chicago. That's a good idea I'll look, thank you.