1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Playing Auld Lang Syne on NYE

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Biggbass, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Biggbass

Biggbass

For those who play on NYE regularly, how do you normally play Auld Lang Syne? Slow? Fast? Old style? Rock?
    And do you follow it with a barn burner or a slow dance?

We're playing our first NYE in years and just wondering
    what other bands do to maximize the experience for the crowd.
    thanks!
  2. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

I think Auld Lang Syne is best sung together.

Provided you've got the right audience, why not just strip the whole thing down to vocals and guitar playing sparsely (e.g. just one long downstroke on the guitar per chord change, maybe a single root note on the bass to keep everyone in tune), and let the audience sing with you?

I just think it's one of those songs that is best when you let everyone have a good ole singalong on their own terms - the idea of having Auld Lang Syne sung to me doesn't seem natural.

IMO, YMMV, etc.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

The whole band plays and sings it and we invite the crowd to sing along to the traditional arrangement. We usually follow it with a ballad and invite everyone to bring in the new year while holding on to someone dear. I'm such an old sap. :p

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  4. hsech

hsech Your opinion doesn't trump mine. Gold Supporting Member

Slow and old style. That way everyone in the audience gets to sing along.