1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Playing Bass in Temple

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Dimin, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    What kind of setup do you use for your temple gig?

2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Actually, our cantor is a tenor, but I went to a synagogue in Tucson which had a nice bass fellow....

3. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Myself, I'm a Satanist, but the one time I went to a 'gogue they had a praise team with keys, some acoustics, and a bass player, pretty sure he was using an Ibby into a Rumble combo?

Speaking of which, wouldn't this be more appropriate to bring up in the P&W club?

4. Mike Dimin

Disclosures:
    P&W seems to be ONLY Christians. If they could help, I'd certainly ask

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Were not. Christians and Muslims just happen to be the most populous on Earth and among bass guitarist in houses of worship, if not independent bands most tend to be Evangelical Christians. One of the most active members over at the P&W Club is a Jew who alternates on drums and bass for his temple on Saturday

7. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

I've never seen a band accompany a service at any Jewish temple I've been to. That would be cool if there was one that did and would maybe give me a reason to attend. There's also Hindu temples but they probably use a Sitar and Tambura for strings instead of guitar and bass. Then there's Temple University but I can't see why that place would have any special requirements bass wise. If you're talking about the Temple of Doom from the Indiana Jones movie, I wouldn't want to play bass there at all.

8. Mike Dimin

Disclosures:
    love it!

9. Mike Dimin

Disclosures:
    I know a wonderful guitarist, a convert to Judaism, who plays in services in her reform temple in NYC

10. natw42

natw42 Gold Supporting Member

I haven't played in my parents synagogue in years - that was 3 rigs ago! :)

But when I did it was my old Matt Pullcinella 5er into a SWR Workingman 15 combo. It was more than enough to carry the room sans PA.

11. Mike Dimin

Disclosures:
    Love Matt's work

12. shwashwa

shwashwa

isnt it against the rules to make someone work on the sabbath? i think there is a rule against performing music too (not sure) and celebrating (certain time of year only?), not to mention the whole electricity thing... of course you could be talking about gigs on saturday night after sundown. i actually have one of those this weekend at a temple/jcc with my 7 piece disco band so ill be bringing my standard disco rig. sunset is 5:47 here, so setup starts at 6, downbeat at 7. of course we'll be playing in the community room. not sure ive ever seen a band in the synagogue.

13. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

The thing about Judaism is that just because something is believed in or practiced at one synagogue/temple does not mean that the same thing is done at the one down the street. There is no music (that I've ever heard of or seen) in Orthodox or even Conservative services, although I have been in informal settings (JCC summer camp, Jewish youth events) where there was music (usually a couple of acoustic guitars). You are more likely to find music in Reform or more liberal settings, but it's not nearly as popular as it is in, say Evangelical Christian circles. Then again, you may not as Judaism is non-dogmatic on everything except that if there is a god, there's is only one god.

14. shwashwa

shwashwa

depends on who you are talking to i guess. i know orthodox jews who would not agree with that.

15. DavidWann

DavidWann

Have you? :help:

16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Posted in the wrong forum. The bassist section is for the discussion of "Bassists".

Moved to Miscellaneous.

17. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    not a rocket scientist, but I play one on TV
    Not sure how many P&W band musicians you've met, but at least half of the church-band players I've met wouldn't necessarily describe themselves as Christians -- they're doing the gig for the money. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The other half (this describes me, I guess, although I don't play in church much these days) volunteer their services, because they happen to attend that particular church and/or view playing in church as a kind of personal ministry.

18. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I'd use my jazz combo setup (SWR head into Bag End cabinet) plugging in an electric upright and a jazz bass. We were playing at socials/casuals as opposed to religious service accompaniments. Mostly standards, show tunes, some charted stuff.

Lonnybass

19. ArtGuy9516

ArtGuy9516

So far my only experience with a band in a synagogue was my cousin's reform synagogue during Friday night services. The band consisted of a guitarist, keyboards, percussion, and a guy using an upright

20. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

21. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Pacman, your new avatar makes you look kinda like Ultraman. It's a good look for a mod.

I've played darbukka (my other primary instrument) in temple. As well as Def (frame drum, also called Tof, Bandir, Tar, etc etc).
    Come to think of it I've played bass, also, but my rig is not really the important part of the gig - what I play and how I play matters much more.

The "music on Shabbat" issue is an interesting one. Remember that there is no "Jewish" answer - we've been around, all over the world, different continents, different sub-traditions, different influences, for close to 4000 years now. So even before getting to contemporary "Orthodox, Reform, Conservative, Renewal, Reconstructionist, Chassidic" there are still tons of traditions and differing viewpoints.
    And a religion that codified the importance of the "dissenting viewpoint" that we in the US use in the Supreme Court. So those alternate viewpoints are considered valid.

On the one hand, there is the prohibition on "doing work" on Shabbat. And by an early determination, playing music (other than singing) counted as "doing work" (along with carrying objects, lighting fires, and a bunch of other stuff).
    On the other hand, there is the tradition of praising God with song, dance, and music. Miriam leading the women in song and dance (with her Tof, or tambourine) after the crossing of the Red Sea. David writing "praise Him with drumming and dancing, praise him with crashing cymbals and finger cymbals" (sounds like bellydance to me!) along with exhortations to praise Him with various other instruments (lute, reeds, etc etc).

So "getting down in God's name" has a pretty rich and ancient history.

And hey Mike, you still owe me feedback on the Friday Night Suite... ;)

Brachot to you all...