Playing bass live without accompaniment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SouthTunnel, Jan 22, 2014.

1. SouthTunnel

SouthTunnel

After playing around overdubbing with my RC-3 and other effects, I got to thinking... My band only plays about once per month. I wonder if I could put together some covers, and play small gigs, coffeehouses, or whatever, without any accompaniment? Layer the bass, rhythm, and then play lead on top, maybe play or sing the vocal parts.

Could be fun, but I'm not sure if the sound would be full enough to pull it off. Have any of you ever tried something like this? Thoughts?
  2. pfox14

pfox14

Never seen it done. You could be the first.
  3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Ive done this once, in a coffeeshop. The owner didnt appreciate it much.
  4. Jensby design

Jensby design

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

I suggest you check out the "Ask Steve Lawson and Michael Manring" forum here at TB. Good ideas there.
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Do it all the time for short open mic sets, but no covers, just originals. No need for loopers or any EFX at all if you can sing, IMHO. They will make for a bigger sound though, if that's what you want.

+1 to checking out Michael and Steve's forum. I've seen them live and they both know how to sell it.
  8. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

I do it sometimes with the upright bass, a hi-hat stand, some bongos, and some singing thrown in there. I keep my foot going to maintain steady rhythm, and once in a while stop playing bass and switch to bongos for a drum solo.

Works pretty good most of the time, as long as it sounds smooth and is kinda groovy, people dig it.
    Rehearse a short set and try it out in a subway station or something.
  9. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I thought the first two were pretty damn cringe worthy but the last guy i mean, its not my kinda stuff at all but i'd say he's got more of something going. Of course the irony is he is not doing an original (well he clearly adapted it to solo bass though).... I'm not sure if it means in general bassists are not good composers.... Definitely if someone is gonna attempt this, they probably should start with covers first...
  10. SouthTunnel

SouthTunnel

I've got chops, but not Michael Manring "record a bass only solo album" chops. Plus I'm not sure the general public would get it anyways. Solo bassist usually appeal primarily to other bassists.

What I was thinking about was using an Octaver up on a rhythm layer, down on a bass layer to get more separation from highs and lows... Throw on top a synth or distortion solo. Create a variety of sounds. Stuff like that.
  11. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

if you're a good enough musician i think you could pull off anything you wanted to.
  12. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Disclosures:
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    Check out El Ten Eleven on you tube. There are two of them (drummer and guitar/bassist) They do some pretty awesome stuff with just the two of them and a bunch of loops and effects. Almost makes me want a double neck...
  13. Jensby design

Jensby design

Hell if you get to have a drummer you could do something like Clatter http://youtu.be/PAhQ2F56Gn0
    :scowl: I watch to much YouTube, don't I?:scowl:
  14. Basshappi

Basshappi

Ed Friedland is very good at it.
  15. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Years ago, I saw a guy do just that at the one of the blues bars in the East Village (NYC).
    An acoustic/electric bass, a small amp and a microphone.

He played and sang well known covers that have a good groove (on that I remember was "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay") and that people knew. I thought it was awesome and have wanted to do something similar ever since.
  16. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

17. SouthTunnel

SouthTunnel

I think I'd need a more advanced loop station. I love my RC-3. It's powerful for what it is... But not quite enough for this.
  18. richntiff

richntiff

Even as a bassist, I wouldn't sit through more than one song.