Playing bass with two fingers only

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by stratovani, Jan 30, 2014.

1. stratovani

stratovani

Yesterday afternoon I was out walking the dog when I tripped on a crack in the asphalt. Landing flat on my face I hyper-extended my left pinky, and now a day later my left hand is partially swollen and my pinky and ring fingers are out of commission for a while, so today I've been forced to play with my index and middle fingers only. An interesting experience indeed, and I found out a few things - first, you can throw trying to play like Jaco right out the window. Second, if your ring finger tries to get in on the action, it'll remind you in a painful way that it doesn't belong. Third, play with open strings as much as possible. Fourth, a short-scale bass is your friend, which is why the P-Bass is in its case and the Hofner Icon is taking over.

Don't know how long I'll be like this, maybe a couple of weeks or so. Thank goodness I didn't break a bone!

2. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

He has one up on you (I think partial use of his ring finger), but Django severely injured his left hand in a wagon fire.

I have no idea how he plays that fast.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think rest, ice and a vacation from bass playing would ALL be in your best interest. Let it heal.

4. stratovani

stratovani

Good advice, but oddly enough I'm finding that I can still groove just fine with two fingers only. But I'll definitely curtail my playing for the foreseeable future.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Get it checked out, any injury that reacts in the way you described it, you have injured the Ulnar Side of your hand, so really all the other fingers will not be that badly affected.
    But if you have damaged an attachment, then it may rupture, tear, or become un-attached if it is allowed to heal wrong or weak....so problems later may present themselves. I would get it checked out if it was me. ...better safe than sorry.:)

7. djole94hns

djole94hns

Definetly go and get that hand check by a medical professional, you never know these days... As for me, I like playing with only 2 fingers, I find it very relaxing :) Well, except those calluses I get when I play for a long time... Man, I hate having girly hands :( :p

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

this.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I play with one finger have since the beginning without any problem.

10. MrTaff

MrTaff

On your fretting hand? seems rather limiting to me unless you're playing fairly simple stuff.