Playing by ear: Am I playing the right notes?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Derp, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Derp

Derp

Right now, I'm learning Fade to Black by /METALLICA\. I play fine, however, I feel that I'm doing something wrong because I only use the E string, occasionally filling in some higher notes on the A, playing the same notes round and round, something like -E-3-7-5-3-5-7-. How can I determine if I play wrong or right?

2. MandK

MandK

Hello Derp
    Best advice is to find a qualified teacher and practice ear training. You need to develop the music side of your ear so you can distinguish proper pitch(relative pitch). A teacher can give you exercises to work on and review your transcriptions to see how accurate your transcribing is.
    Good Luck
    -Matt

3. Technicality

Technicality

4. Derp

Derp

Thanks a lot! This is definitely going to help, although I was talking in general on the subject of playing by ear.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Most people doesn't bother learning what the real bass player do. They concentrate on the chords and then do what they think is playing with taste and serving the song ...

My suggestion is to try to get the whole song down and then find the official sheet music ( I have it at home ) and compare yourself