Playing During Pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by APeck, Dec 18, 2012.

1. APeck

APeck

Hi! I'm somewhat new to the site, just started exploring.

I'm a music graduate student, been playing bass for about 15 years or so. I'm an education major so performance isn't my emphasis, however I do practice/play in ensemble anywhere from 1-5 hours per day, depending on the day. I play electric too, but not nearly as often, and I'm not as concerned about that setup.

I wondered if anyone had any advice on continuing to play during pregnancy. My husband and I are considering TTC near the end of my last semester of grad school, but I plan to continue gigging and playing in a local orchestra.

I'm particularly interested in the issues of swelling (fingers) and if the technique is changed at all by the bump! I sit when I play normally, french grip, and I'm "normal" weight if that makes any difference. Advice from both lady and man bassists if you have it would be much appreciated.
  2. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    There are dozens of female orchestral players who have played through pregnancy in this country. Do a search in this forum for "female;" there was a great comprehensive list posted recently. My pal Jennifer Downing Olsson just played a season here with Grant Park *very pregnant,* and in the heat!
  3. APeck

APeck

Thank you - I haven't been able to find the thread you're referring too, but I wanted to ensure that I would likely be able to play through the majority of the pregnancy if we decide to go that route. I don't know any female bassists who have been pregnant personally, so I thought I could get some input here. If anyone knows where this thread/list is, a link would be appreciated!
  4. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Just look up the roster of some symphonies with female players, contact them via email (either provided directly on the orchestra's websight or by nicely asking,) and inquire away.

Try Sarah Chiego- Memphis Symphony. She has held down a teaching position, tenure, and a Mary Kay side biz without batting an eye.

There's tons of gals out there who've done this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mau

Mau

Hi, I played for first 5 months without any trouble, but then my belly became so round and tight that doublebass didn't stand comfortably..and I had some spasms inside which made me worry for my baby.So I stopped playing for the rest of my pregnancy. I didn't have swelling fingers. If you don't get kilos more than normal and go on moving why should you have puffy fingers.I think no need to worry :) Cheers to your baby!
  7. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    In German orchestras (possibly EU wide) pregnant players must go on leave at some point. I think it's about halfway through. This is due to federal regulations on workplace noise. I don't know what the science is on this, but you may want to bow out of a Mahler V concert if it's going to be in your third trimester;)
  8. APeck

APeck

Thank you all. If we decide to TTC, we wouldn't start until I'm within 5-6 months of finishing my Masters, so I'd only potentially be playing for the first two trimesters, and that's if it "takes" in the first couple tries. Sounds totally doable. Thanks so much!