Playing for hotel rooms?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mark_70, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Mark_70

Mark_70

We may have the option to play in a 'resort' in a nice nature area.
    There would be no pay, the idea is that we would get free rooms at the resort.
    The band is the four of us, all with a family. The idea would be to just make a weekend out of it. Travel up there (northern Minnesota) on a Friday, we'd all bring our respective family's, play a gig on fri night and sat night and go back on sunday.

Is this a common business proposition? Play for free hotelrooms? Assuming the area is a nice area to bring the family (which this is), I think it could be fun..
    The rest of the band seems to be all for it..

Regards
    Mark

2. cronker

cronker

It doesn't seem common, IMHO, but it sounds like a nice way to get a vacation for cheap. I'd do it.

3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    About 15 years ago, my band was hired to play at a large outdoor festival. We had a hard time finding a hotel due to the number of people who attend the annual week long event. We decided to see if there were any campgrounds in the area. We found one and the owner offered to give us the use of two camper trailers for the week if we agreed to play two 90 minutes gigs at the campground. We obviously said yes. However, I have never and would never play for just for rooms.

4. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

I don't know about common, but if the rest of the band and their families are into it, why not do it? If the venue allows, you could always set up a tip jar to help cover travel costs/food/etc. As long as it's not keeping you from playing a paying gig, I see no harm in it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eloann

eloann

I've had an offer for a similar gig : 1 whole week playing two 1-hour sets a day at a ski station. All accomodations (rooms, food, ski pass & gear) free for the band.

Didn't work out since the singer was recovering from health issues

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

It's not common around here.

I'm not sure I'd do it. Free vacation sounds nice, but gas mileage, wear & tear on my car, personal time, my equipment, years of learning how to play, etc. are all worth more than nothing to me.

How much does a room cost at this place? I assume each band member is getting their own?

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Give me a meal or two, as well, and I might consider doing this.

It's not the Blue Goose, up there on Mille Lacs, is it?

9. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

And there you have it. If everyone thinks it'll be fun, then go for it.

10. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

That's my neck of the woods. If you want PM me as I might have some insight to the place as I've played just about all of them in this area.

11. Tony B. Filthy

Tony B. Filthy Supporting Member

Yeah, why not? Unless you have some band members where this is their bread and butter (and that is getting rarer and rarer these days for good reasons) it sounds like lots of fun.

12. oboylebass

oboylebass

Personally, I would not do it. I mean, how could a resort not be able to throw some musicians some dough? For 2 shows? Are they cash-strapped or something? You're providing a service and when you're done with said service, hand the owner the bill and say "We prefer cash, but we'll take a check."

13. Mark_70

Mark_70

Yes - it would be a room for each band member, two nights (one gig per night). So the owner would be out 8 nights total.
    I'm guessing 200 bucks per night normal price.

Regards
    Mark

14. Mark_70

Mark_70

No bread and butter..

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Why not? Because things like this will set the pay standard (if it hasn't already) for all musicians playing at this resort. The resort wants entertainment, have them pay for it, just like they are paying every other single person working there.
    No wonder musician's pay hasn't gone up since the 70s. Musicians are screwing themselves by making such practices acceptable and common.

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Hmmm ... being a musician really is a poor paying career ... not even minimum wage ...

17. oboylebass

oboylebass

Dude...that's the truth brother!!

18. Tony B. Filthy

Tony B. Filthy Supporting Member

It's their choice and it's one gig. Don't go all protectionist on me for one statement that involves a fun weekend for a band with apparent day jobs and their families. Sheeesh.

19. zongo

zongo Supporting Member

Well, take this from another angle. If I (and a few business associates) were asked to give a presentation at a trade show, I would expect to get a room, meals and a fee for my efforts. Seems unfair that a resort would not add a payment for the music plus accommodations and per diems.
    Not saying you shouldn't do it, as that is a personal decision, but it's an unfortunate reality that live music is not valued as much as it should be. As someone else said, a lot of work and equipment goes into being able to perform. In a fair economy, that's worth more than room and board.
    For someone just starting out, a gig like this cld be considered a cool internship. For a pro, it's closer to a comfy charity show.

20. cronker

cronker

In my part of the world, there was a union rule that a dj or band playing at a wedding or corporate function must be supplied a meal. This didn't last long, since many performers coerced the organiser into paying them the meal price instead of supplying a meal.
    Musicians aren't the best in organising fair work agreements for themselves, and sometimes a decent agreement is broken by others who find a way to get around rules so they get a few extra dollars in their pocket in the here and now.

It's like the rules about drinking at a gig. I'm a bass player, and a beer or two when we are playing is appreciated. But, I'm also a restaurant/function manager and I see it differently with that hat on. You are employed to provide a service - no other employee of my work is allowed to drink on the job, so why should you be excepted?

21. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

No, but an all expense paid jam vacation might be fun, which island is the nice resort located on?

EDIT:
    Wait, only $200 per night rooms - I thought this was a really fine resort. In that case, I rather be paid and pay for my own room.