1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Playing guitar while reading?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pushbuttonfour, Jan 19, 2013.

1. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

If you're anything like me, (which i assume most of you aren't) you find reading pretty boring. I have recently started to multitask and play guitar while reading, just sort of absentminded except uses without thinking about it. Has anyone been able to do this without losing significant focus on the book?

2. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

If you value reading and playing guitar little enough to do them both at the same time, why not save some effort and not do either one?

3. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

The reading I have to do for school. I admittedly don value reading very much, mostly because I suck at it. But I'm in high school now and I doubt I'll ever get better, or at least better enough to make a difference. Now guitar I definitely value, I just obviously can't do it all the time. I'm asking if its possible to sorta mess around with the instrument, get a better feel for it while getting reading done at the same time, if anyone's brain is capable of such multitasking

4. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nobody's brain is good at multitasking, even if they think they are good at it. You would do better with a half hour of each rather than an hour of doing both at the same time.

And you'll develop bad habits by playing without paying attention to it.

Put 100% of yourself into whatever you do. After not too long you will be a good enough reader that you will start to enjoy it more. Maybe you need to get tested, you might have dyslexia or a tracking disorder that makes reading difficult. There are ways to treat these problems but you have to be properly diagnosed first.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

That "half hour of each" was compelling. Ok, I think I'll stick with one big at a time then :|

7. ssabass

ssabass

I usually read, play bass, watch tv and surf the net at the same time, while at work. Simply prop the book in front of the laptop, which is in front of the tv. They don't mind.

8. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I also watch TV & noodle at the same time.

I attended a clinic/tour which included Bill Dickens, Bobby Rock & Neil Zaza.

When someone asked Zaza about practice tips... One of the things he does is turn the TV on, hit mute and play whatever inspires him from TV (i.e. emotion being conveyed, etc.)

9. pflash4001

pflash4001

This is totally different from what the OP is doing. You're half a$$ing both and you WILL develop bad habits in both, as mentioned earlier. I am an English teacher. I know lots of kids who read while listening to music, watching tv, or whatever. DON'T FOOL YOURSELF! If you're bored with the reading then cut off everything else and focus. Have you ever been in a conversation and someone else walks up and just starts jabbering? If one or the other doesn't stop talking, you'll miss big chunks of BOTH conversations. Guess what...the book is one conversation and the t v is another. Shut one up and focus on the other.

10. Emanuel Apascaritei

Emanuel Apascaritei

well...I can read music sheets and play at the same time.

Also playing excersises while watching tv with the bass unplugged.

11. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

I was once told a good way to work on singing and playing guitar was to try playing guitar while talking on the phone. They didn't say that it's not appropriate when talking to a girlfriend on the phone or during a phone job interview, but you live and you learn.

12. pklima

pklima

Ha! I can not only sightread, I can also play while reading lyrics!