Playing through my computer with no amp?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Tom84d, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Tom84d

Tom84d

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, I am in school now and living in an apt. which means i am short on space ad have people living on all sides of me. Is there anything i can buy so that i can play my bass through my pc without having to bring my amp and cab down? I saw some of the line 6 pod products that looked like they would work but i really have no idea what to look for or if it even exists. Thanks for your help guys and if this is the wrong place for this question let me know and i will post it elsewhere.
  2. Skywalker83

Skywalker83

The only reason i would say for playing into the PC is for recording puposes and not really recommended for live live play back due to latency. What to do is buy a head phone amp, EASound design make the EARWIG (which i have), which is stunning little cheap heaphone amp that also allows you to plug an Aux in, so you can play along with MP3's and backing tracks.
    If you do want to record then i would look at getting an audio interface that allows you record into your PC and using a headphone out, listen to what your playing without latency. Line6 do an interface, the Tone port UX1 which you can use for recording through. But there's a ton of different options for PC audio interfaces so figure out what it is you're looking for then do some searches on here and see if you can find out any further information.
  3. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

I agree w/ skywalker, except I do recommend practicing this way. I rarely play through an amp at home for practice or any other situation for that matter. I play through my computer constantly and I live in the country with my nearest neighbor 1/2 mile away! Of course I do record constantly though too.

Depending on if your computer is decent just get an interface, have fun and you can record a bit too if you like.
  4. debassr

debassr

I like the Zoom B2 in this situation. 1/4" input for the bass and a bunch of output options including USB, XLR, headphones, and 1/4" output for connecting to anything you could imagine, including your computer.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Works fine. I do it all the time.
    1ms of latency is equal to 1ft of sound travel. 5ms would be like having a speaker 5ft from you. 20ms - 20ft. These you can compensate for with your ear and playing style.

With all I do, it's usually around 4ms. No problem.
    Find sites that explain how to tune your PC for DAW use.
  7. tasty sweeps

tasty sweeps

i put a 1/4-to-1/8" adapters on my instrument cable, plug directly into my macbook, run through garage band and either wear headphones or plug in to my home sterio system receiver. every now and again, when running through the speakers, i get some latency issues. so far, with headphones, no latency that i can detect.
  8. Slax

Slax

Is your bass active? I have passive basses and need to use some sort of pre-amp. I either use my Boss multieffect pedal or a head of a cheap small combo directly into the mic jack on the sound card.
  9. stflbn

stflbn

I've not played through my full amp/rig at home for over 2 years. It's just to disruptive and rude to do to my wife.

When at home I either plug directly into my Presonus Firebox firewire interface, or into my pedalboard and then into the Firebox. When I had pod's or pod type interfaces I used them with headphones also, but a computer based interface is just nice so that you can mix yourself into what you're practicing via iTunes, etc.

10. Tom84d

Tom84d

thanks for the info guys i appreciate it
  11. funky_bass_guy

funky_bass_guy

I am at uni so have similar problems to you. I practice through NI Guitar Rig 2 and headphones. Gets me a great sound and easy to record/loop too!