Playing tired, old, worn out songs...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jakelly, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakelly

jakelly

We have a singer who practically insists on doing Mustang Sally and Crossroads at every gig. I've complained some, but of course I play the songs when they come up, since standing there with crossed arms and a frown isn't an option. :p These are not the only "classics" we do, but they are the ones that I dislike more than the others.

We have plenty of songs in the repertoire so its not like we need to do them all the time.

What to do, what to do... If I had my druthers, we'd put these songs in the vault, only to come out when requested.

Have a similar situation?
  2. nojj

nojj Guest

Playing tired, old, worn out songs...

No problem doing that as long as I'm being paid with tired, old, worn out money.
  3. mcarp555

mcarp555

If the punters are happy, smile and make the best of it.
  4. jakelly

jakelly

Good points.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pklima

pklima

Yeah, keep playing them as long as the audience isn't tired of them.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Give them new life! Lay a funk bassline to it. Come up with a fresh arrangement. Unfortunately, patrons want to hear it.
  8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

So you don't like those songs. What does the audience think? You're playing for them.
  9. el basso

el basso Supporting Member

its amazing that audiences still tolerate "Brown Eyed Girl"
  10. nojj

nojj Guest

That's because as often as we have had to play Moldy Old Chestnuts parts 1&2,
    the audience hasn't always had that particular pleasure.
  11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I do it every gig. The bigger issue is we never change the setlist or order that we play songs week after week :rolleyes:
  12. nojj

nojj Guest

You have a point there, BB
    I usually work off a master list for my 3pc, and change things up every so often.
    Some tunes will go over great in one venue, and fall flat in another.
  13. rockamimjazz

rockamimjazz

Audience first, no doubt. There's a story in an Aerosmith book that I read, where is talks about how they grew weary of playing Dream On after doing it so many times. Yet, they knew it was something the crowd came and expected to hear. That's just the way it goes for some of those timeless tunes...we musicians have to bite the bullet to play what works.
  14. smogg

smogg

I can not tell you how many times I've heard people say; "how many more versions of (insert song name) must we hear," or "is that the only song anybody does by (insert band name)."

So we have a short list of tunes that are only played by request and encourage said patron to buy the band a round. We then play that up to get the patrons to buy another round for themselves and have a toast (for whatever reason) with the band. Makes us look good at the cash register and bar management likes sales. ;)
  15. socialleper

socialleper

I'm going to say something super unpopular here, so I'll hedge it with "No disrespect" or "I'm just saying..."

Every outdoor event with a band I've been to since I was old enough to start paying attention, has played the same set of songs from the 60's and 70's, over and over and over again. So some of those songs were old 25 years ago, and have only gotten older, as have the audience, and yet they keep playing them.
    What's my point? Is Mustang Sally really that tired in the context of the rest of your set? Is there one song in that set written between 1990 and 2010? If not, aren't they all a little tired?
  16. mrjim123

mrjim123

+1
  17. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

If your audience is still responding to said "tired old songs" then the problem is yours, however there are things you can do to spice them up and make them more interesting in much the same way you might try a new move in the boudoir to spice things up a bit if you catch my drift.

change the arrangement
    add an audience sing along part if thats appropriate
    do a medley of a couple of those kinds of tunes
    change the words to more provactive lyrics ( yeah, go all sexy and stuff)
    try and make them fun again
  18. pklima

pklima

Or get a younger, trendier audience that gets tired of songs faster.
  19. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm thinking of doing an all-anthems show that opens with Hotel California, includes Stairway to Heaven, Smoke on the Water and ends with Freebird.

I will not be including Brown Eyed Girl or Mustang Sally.
  20. baileyboy

baileyboy

Correct, good call!
  21. jakelly

jakelly

Yes, we do a number of songs between 1990 and 2010. And a bunch from the 80's. And some 70's and 60's too.

And yes, the audience does respond to Mustang Sally. And to a lesser extent, Crossroads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.