Playing while standing behind the bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by fuzzy beard, Oct 26, 2013.

1. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

When I first got my upright I knew there was some heavy rash on the back. I figured it to be from transporting it or something. Then today a guy I was jamming with said it was buckle rash.

Now it is the right hieght and I can totally see the damage being done by a buckle but you would have to be standing directly behind the bass. Your belly to the back of the bass.

Ever see anyone play like that?
    Any advantage to playing like that?

I have been messing around playing behind it like that and noticed a few things. My left hand technique was alot better. And I dont know if this makes sense at all but my low end response seemed alot better. To explain a little better when playing in my regular stance I dont hear alot of low end. I do know the bass is throwing a ton of low end out in front both from me listing to someone else play and comments from others while I have played it. But as soon as I stand behind it the low end is massive to me as the player.

Any ideal why?
  2. fmoore200

fmoore200

Probably because you have more contact with the bass, so you are "absorbing" more of the sound, and while I'm no audio expert, I would guess the more of your body that contacts the bass, the less it projects. So while you may hear/feel it more, the same may not be true for the audience and rest of the band.

I would also guess it's not great for your left hand technique (and possibly health) in the long run.
  3. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    People sit behind it, most don't stand behind it, Unless you use a Bent/Laborie/Rabbath Endpin which i highly recommend.

Here are some of the advantages of being behind it:

1. Your bow technique dosen't have to change, and you don't have to shift your bass or your position to play the E or G strings.

2. You can keep your wrist straighter.

3. You can sit or stand and the bass basically rests the same way.

Before i got an angled endpin i sat behind the bass as i wanted to facilitate the technique in that respect as much as possible.

As far as the low end, perhaps it is a change in the technique. Honestly without some scientific equipment and a snapshot of how you were playing it before you transitioned and after it would be hard to tell. Realize that you may now play different because of the change.
  4. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

Hmm. Maybe they sat behind it I guess the rash could be from a chair. I know it never had a bent end pin due to the fact it's a war bass and has the non adjustable wood pin.
  5. Register to disable this ad