1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

playing with a glove?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bayonet, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Bayonet

Bayonet

Ok,So,Due to a problem with sweaty Hands i bought a pair of those fingerless gloves(I think this is the "right" name),so i can play without making the neck of my bass wet..
    Despite the guitarist making fun of my gloves i haven't had any more problems xD
    I wanted to know if anyone else has this kind of problems,or if uses gloves to play Because i don't know if it might affect the way i play '-'
    Does anyone think it could do something with my playing style? D=
  2. elgecko

elgecko

I wear thin, fingerless gloves on cold, outdoor gigs...darn arthritis! :atoz:
  3. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

that brit devine has to wear gloves cause of a medical condition and he is a great player and instructor
  4. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

I've heard of reggae bass players doing it to get even more mushy thud. I think they were soft/thin white ones. I've never tried it out, but it could be cool.
  5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I have played in cold outdoors gigs with the fingerless gloves - I think that they are called "fisherman's gloves". You have to adjust a little for the added thickness for your left hand, but it worked well!
  6. Turxile

Turxile

Alternatively you can stop your hands sweating.
    Depending on how heavy the sweating is there are different alternatives.
    Even with fingerless gloves you fingertips will still be sweaty (again deopending on how heavy it is).
    Try this solution called Perspirex; you should find it in the deodorant sections of drug stores and it works.
    Do a search for Hyperhidrosis.
  7. madmatt

madmatt

Cool, you can play the bass and keep the neck polished at the same time.
  8. fearceol

fearceol

+1. Yes, that "English gentleman" ;) Scott Devine wears a glove for a different reason, and does not seem to have any problems.
  9. selftitled907

selftitled907

dude...if it helps your problem, then it works for you! you might even change your play style a little bit and learn to like it. When i pictured it i imagined all sorts of weird sounding ghost notes that could come from the muting with a gloved hand. Might actually sound cool or heaven knows...even good! Either way, i hope your adapting well and can make the most of wearing a glove(s) while playing.
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Etienne M'Bappé always plays with silk gloves for the same reason as OP.
  11. Russell L

Russell L

If it works for you, fine. I'd suggest to not use the padded type (like those for bicyling and motorcycling).
  12. rtslinger

rtslinger

Back in the 80's I wore fingerless leather gloves as part my stage gear never had any problems playing with them on.
  13. Von Felgenhauer

Von Felgenhauer

I wear fingerless glow in the dark skeleton gloves. Some shows my girl paints my face like a skeleton. Its only part of the stage presence but it doesn't effect my playing at all
  14. MattS

MattS

Back in the day I used to keep some baby powder on hand, put a little bit on my hands before playing and it kept em dry. Eventually I stopped using it, wasn't a problem, just be careful not to use too much or you'll dry yer hands out and create some unwanted friction on the strings.
  15. devine

devine Supporting Member

Lol... yeah, I'm the brit!

I wear gloves due to a medical condition... you can read about it here...The Gloves - Focal Dystonia | Scott's Bass Lessons

I used to wear really thin silk gloves but they only lasted a few gigs and cost around $15-20 a pair. I then started using super thin woolen gloves that I get from my local camping shop... $5 a pair and last around 20 gigs!!!

There's also a great french bass player called Etienne Mbappe who uses gloves as his sweat is super acidic and rots his strings.

Easy,

Scott.

Free Online Bass Lessons - Scott's Bass Lessons
    SCOTT DEVINE-BASS PLAYER-COMPOSER-EDUCATOR
  16. john grey

john grey

Alum powder AND witch hazel: works every time
  17. elgecko

elgecko

For "cold" gigs, these are my favorite gloves. They're very thin and snug but don't hinder your dexterity. I cut the fingers for optimal bass playing (i.e. almost completely off on the left hand and much shorter for my picking fingers...everything else stays!)

Gloves & Headwear | Max-10 | Manzella: The Glove Company
  18. Bayonet

Bayonet

Nice to know i'm not the only one :)
    I'm thankful that my sweating problem is not serious because my hands only get wet after 30min-1hour of playing and not on the fingertips :)

Thank you for your feedback,and,so far,my playstyle remained the same.
  19. Deathblade Eric

Deathblade Eric

Like the song says... It Ain't Necessarily So :D

Exhibit A - The Glove:

[​IMG]

Exhibit B - Me hacking through "Politician" Once 'round the block with the glove & once without... You decide.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/Politician_Gloves_VBR.mp3
  20. Bossco

Bossco

Brilliant! My caustic sweat eats finishes and strings as well. Hmmmm, never thought to wear a glove. Thanks - got me thinking...