Playing with bracelet

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mr L, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Mr L

Mr L

So I have this all leather bracelet that I wear on my right wrist nearly all the time.

The bracelet is all leather except for a very small and very dull metal button at the back.

Yesterday at rehearsal my guitar player told me to stop playing with my bracelet on cause it will scratch through the paint really fast.

I have a red Mexican p bass I've have for about 3 years now and played it hard and often, always with this bracelet on.

You can see a few scratches where it's been rubbing but the scratches are fewer and smaller than the ones made by my pick!

So my questions are: do any of you play with a bracelet? Have you ha experience with a bracelet or watch scratching through the paint? How long did it take?

Still gonna wear the bracelet, especially now that my guitarist told me to take it off hehe

2. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Your bass, your bracelet, your arms, your life.
    Your choice.

and if you've been playing your P bass for 3 years and you're not concerned about the scratches - what's to worry about?

3. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Wear and tear. It happens. Naturally worn instruments look really great IMO. You're not hurting anyone, and it's not his bass so...

--Silvie

4. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

If it has a poly finish like every MIM fender I've seen, you won't scratch through the inish even if your bracelet was 80 grit sandpaper with a cheese grater button.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DWLANG

DWLANG

Get a Fender Roadworn P bass (or Jazz) and you won't care

7. Einherjar

Einherjar

Lol, that's kinda funny. Back when I played with a pick all the time I would wear a sweat band on my right wrist because it stopped my skin from sticking to the bass and dragging. Made it much easier to play the painfully basic but extremely fast stuff I was doing back then.

8. rtslinger

rtslinger

Back in the day I used a studded leather ones wore the finish off the body of my Gibson over the years. But if you were a metal player you need to dress the part.

9. ctrotier

ctrotier

My bracelet (stainless steel), hasnt' hurt any of my basses.

My sweat, on the other hand, has corroded bridges, tuners...even stained the bubinga on my Warwicks.

10. smogg

smogg

IF you are really concerned about scratches you could just spin the bracelet so the snap is facing up when playing. Then just return it to its normal position the rest of the time. Please remain seated until the unit has come to a complete stop.

11. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

I did this to, but more because where my arm would rest on the body of my Destroyer would sometimes break out in a rash after especially long, hot, or strenuous playing.

12. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Tell your guitarist that you're relic'ing the instrument.

I couldn't wear anything like that. I sweat quite easily and a lot, especially with stage lighting. I think I'd stain or rot out the leather. The gold hardware of my Ibanez is tarnished/rusted from years of my sweat.

13. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Unless it's an incredibly expensive vintage instrument, who cares? They were made to be played. I never worry about scratches - they don't hurt the sound.

14. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

I always leave my shirt hanging out when I play so I don't get belt buckle scratches on the back of my bass. However, some people are OK with this and would say it looks cool. To each his own. If you wanna wear a leather bracelet when you play, then go for it. Who cares what the guitard says.