1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Playing with pick or fingerstyle

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Jan 23, 2013.

Playing with pick or fingerstyle

Poll closed Jan 30, 2013.
  1. I'm playing with a pick

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. I play with finger style

32 vote(s)
    82.1%
  1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

Hi

I don't know if this subject has been up to the TB board before. But I would like to submit a new poll: Do you mainly play with a pick or most often with finger style?

/MrBaloo

2. fearceol

fearceol Supporting Member

Pick or fingers ? I think it may have come up possibly once, since Talk Bass has been in existance !! :D :D

3. Bart277

Bart277

4. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

I've NEVER seen this addressed on TB before, but I've only been on for five years.

Fingers, for what it's worth. I think I should learn pick, but I'm lazy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RadioRob

RadioRob

I use pick for oldies like surfing USA and love potion #9. Some newer stuff like walk like an Egyptian. Depends on how I hear the bass in the song. As for personal preference, I like fingers.

7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I started out using a pick and played that way for over 20 years. In 2002, I was presented with the opportunity to join a touring blues band. I met with the BL (Guitarist, Lead Singer) on a Friday night. He gave me a cd, told me to pick two songs and be ready for the audition on Monday. I had read that many blues guitarists prefer their bass players to use finger style so I spent the weekend learning the entire cd in finger style and got the gig. I have used finger style ever since and rarely use a pick. I find that I am faster, more accurate, and it make muting easier. I also like the tone better.

8. MrChrizmo

MrChrizmo

I don't like pick-playing.

I sometimes regret it because some of the songs I play could really benefit from the different sound but I just don't like it.

I have small hands and play the bass very... diagonal, with the body tilted downward and the neck tilted upward so my fretting hand is comfortable, however in this position I find it hard to play with a pick.

9. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

*facepalm*

Shall I warm up some popcorn?

10. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

I have been member of TB since 2002, but I'm sure variants of the subject have been up here at TB. But now the topic is "pick or finger style", nothing else... :smug:

Ok, I haven't been very busy on TB the last couple of years. So I might have missed one or two threads.

/MrBaloo

11. stratovani

stratovani

I play both styles, depending on the song. A lot of Tom Petty's music was played pickstyle, but some songs, like Free Fallin' sound better fingerstyle.

12. robotriot

robotriot

i'm fairly new to bass, but i've been totally into finger style.. but I've been going to shows and watching bassists, I can definitely tell when it'd be rad to use a pick; it's a very different sound!

13. El-Bob

El-Bob

You need an option for both.

14. Mugre

Mugre

I use both. I would like to slap but it triggers my tendinitis. I'll use whatever suits me including hitting the strings with manicotti dipped in epoxy and fairy dust. I eschew all notions of there being one way or one best way to do anything except for the one universal truth that the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar.
    Mugre

15. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

16. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

You need an option for thumb as a pick and also using your index finger up and down like a pick.

17. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

You are right, I have no options beside "pick" and "finger style". That was my intention. What style (pick/finger style) are you most likely to use when playing. But your comment here is welcome.

/MrBaloo

18. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

I don't recall this topic ever coming up before...hmm, interesting topic;

I play with fingers mostly and use a thumb pick on one tune that has a descending scale run in the middle break that is too fast for my fingers. One day I'm going to master that run and leave the thumb pick at home!

19. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

Mostly fingerstyle, occasionally pick, occasionally metal slide percussively to interact with the pickups, and even occasionally bodhran beater. Very rarely slap.

20. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Which style is the best for metal?:bag::D

21. Russell L

Russell L

I'm mostly fingerstyle. I can do a pick, but don't like it as much. Besides, I have fingernails.