1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Please advise

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Onestringbass, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Onestringbass

Onestringbass Supporting Member

I have a 2 X 15" cabinet and want to add something on top.
    What do you recommend.
    10"
    6"
    Horn driver + horn
    etc.etc....

I am using this rig just for checking sound of basses I made, am making and will be making but not for a live gig.

Bass type? All sorts.
    4 strings, 5 strings, 6 strings, fretless.....

I also have a crossover so I can go two or three way bi(tri)-amp. I think I don't need three way but tow way is enough.
    What do you think?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Get a good set of headphones or high quality studio monitors with appropriate room treatment so you can hear the best natural, transparent sound of the basses you build. You don't want colored sound of peaky resonant amplifiers and cabinets getting in the way of you hearing what the bass can actually do.
    Try - get a clean uncolored recording, listen to the raw tone. If you want to hear a typical bass amp, of any brand, the pipe it through some modeling, like IK Samplitube. Or Overload Mark Bass Studio - you can hear what your basses sound like through many rigs this way.

3. Onestringbass

Onestringbass Supporting Member

Thank you for a good advice.
    I am now looking for a good mic pre with a power amp. I have the JBL 4312 but prefer 15".

4. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

If you want true transparency, then your best bet is a decent DI box, an audio interface (if you want to record) or a good-quality mixer with a foldback (monitoring) system. I am totally digital, so I would go with a DI, interface and then my headphones (AKG K701). So, Bass-DI-Interface-Foldback or Bass-DI-MixingDesk-Foldback.

Whether that's actually useful in determining how a bass would perform on a real gig is another issue. If you want to determine that, then a couple of popular amplifiers would be a good idea. An SVT, a MarkBass, a Genz-Benz, etc. It would get very expensive though!

The advantage of the first system is that you would have a more neutral setup. It would also be cheaper. A decent DI would cost you $100-200, perhaps less. A small high-quality mixer would be relatively inexpensive and a pair of monitoring headphones like the K701s are around $200. If you went with the interface option, you might be able to dispense the DI (some had a high-impedence input) but you would need a computer. Anything would work reasonably if you're only using one channel. I would be considering an Apogee Duet but there are cheaper options for an interface.

5. Register to disable this ad