PLEASE critique my band

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by g4string, Nov 3, 2012.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Board recording taken from our last rehearsal. Any and all comments, kudos, suggestions, complaints would be much appreciated. Always looking for constructive criticism. Thanks!

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11979485
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11979486
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11979487
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11979488
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11979489

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1271024 - artist main page with all of the songs linked above

FWIW, bass was recorded using the DI on my Aguilar TH500. Drive on the Aggie was about 10 o'clock position. Bass was an 'A' Bass Jade 4 string (Daryl Jones prototype) with Lane Poor jazz pup's.
  2. LightGroove

LightGroove

Reminds me a little of Warren Haynes ..

Band sounds good and tight.. like the separation overall. Bass tone is a little wooly for my tastes in spots but thats purely personal . Can hear some of your runs/work but they get eaten up by the "wool" as Ill call it..

Thumbs up from me.
  3. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Three comments (all meant in the sincere spirit of trying to be helpful):

1. Bass is too muffled. It sounds like there is a blanket covering the bass sound. Need more mids in the bass to cut through the mix.

2. The compositions lack dynamics. Pros know how important dynamics are. Non-pros don't, and therefore often make the error of having nearly constant energy levels from all of the instruments from the beginning of the song to the end. Songs that lack dynamics quickly bore the listening audience. Also, pros use the time-tested trick of keeping the composition simpler in the earlier passages of the song, and then adding to it as the song progresses (another element of dynamics). Don't feel bad. These errors exist in almost all "originals" by local bands, so you are in good company.

3. Even though it was challenging to discern some of the bass notes, IMO the bass lines are well-selected for the material. Good job!
  4. g4string

Thanks for the input. Regarding my mixed tone, I agree. But it was a practice recording. In a "real" receding my sound would be much better. Trough my cab, my tone was a 100% different than what was tracked. I think our drummer (who set up the board) didn't realize I was post eq and messed up the mix.

Regarding dynamics....I wholeheartedly 100% agree. I have been with these guys for about 2-3 months now....now that the newness has worn off I am starting to recognize the overall lack of dynamics. This practice receding solidified my concern. Your comment regarding the lack of dynamics mirrors my thoughts as well.

Thank you for your input.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SactoBass

Hey g4, I had another listen to those recordings, and I just had to post again to say that you are one heck of a good bass player! IMO, the sign of a good bassist is one who plays the right parts for each song (like Paul McCartney does). Very nice!! :bassist:

And I have to laugh at myself for saying that the bass needed to come through clearer. Typical bass player comment, eh?
  7. g4string

Thanks for the kind words. Wasn't fishing for compliments, but hey....take em' when you can get em'!! It's hard to to play fitting simple lines while trying to be creative and showcase a few chops at the same time. The last thing you want to do is over play. But at the same time, I want to play something that doesn't bore me. It's a slippery balance to combine the two worlds.

PS...the bass could have used a bit more presence in the mix...
  8. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

I like it! I actually listened to all of the tracks, something I find almost impossible to do in a situation like this.

I would actually buy an album from your group!

Here's the way I look at it:
    You can critique anything to death. Are the tracks perfect? Were the dynamics perfect? Was the mix perfect? Like you said, it was a rehearsal, you were working on your performance. It sounded like (to me) that you have a group of talented musicians, and from the sound of the tracks, everyone wants the song to sound good. I didn't hear a bass heavy, drum heavy or guitar heavy track.

Give me raw, real, live stuff. I want to hear real music with emotion from real people, not something polished to the point that it loses it's feeling.

My advice, keep working together, of course to get better, but don't lose the feeling.

Good luck!

P.S. You wouldn't mind of I downloaded and burned these would you?
  9. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

I really liked it, Travelling sounded like Led Zep to me. +1. Wild was nice too. Very nice stuff to be listening to in a club, chatting with people and drinking a coke.

- Jimmy Rage
  10. SactoBass

So very true. Whenever I check out local bands that play "originals", 99% of the time all of the players in the band seem to feel as if they all need to fill every space in the music, as if they are scared to death of using space as part of the composition (guitar players seem to be the worst offenders based on what I have observed). The end result is a sound that comes across, well, shall we say "less than professional."

I have also watched plenty of pro-level bands (I'm talkin "big time" pro), and I always notice how they employ space in a tasteful way. They also ensure that they don't step on each other (musically), i.e., there is clear separation in each of their parts. The Talking Heads is an excellent example of that. David Byrne of TH talked about the importance of that in an interview. Sting is an example of an avid space user. Another excellent example of not stepping on each other is The Eagles. They sometimes have three or four guitars playing at the same time, but they are all playing something different, and it all fits together.