1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Please friends, do not seek your answers with the bottle.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Dec 17, 2013.

1. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

I understand people can drink after a bad day or are going through some rough patches in their life. Lord knows I've been there, more often than I'd like. And even if most of the "great recession" is over layoffs still aren't too uncommon, times can get very tough on some people these days.

One of my best friends that I've had since high school has had an awful year. He was let go from his employer and his girlfriend of the past four or five years left him all at once. He had been shopping for a wedding ring, too.

His answer to deal with these problems was to drink and smoke pot constantly. Either is fine in moderation and in safe environments. He was not doing that though - he was recklessly getting wasted and/or stoned constantly, and has paid the price.

He was arrested with a DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) back in August. He posted his $5,000 bond (according to Harris County court records) and he told me he was going to attempt fight it. I even offered to go to the trial as character witness if need be or even just for moral support for him. That is, until recently, when he was arrested with his SECOND DWI. This time he had pot on his person and was also hit with possession charges.

Knowing he had no shot of fighting either now, he pled guilty to both on the same day. Now he get's to spend the next 100 days in the county penitentiary with some of Houston's most hardened criminals. He's a small white kid from the suburbs - he stands no chance in prison and I fear he's going to get beaten regularly (or worse). I'm going to go visit him on Sunday.

I would like to add he is probably amongst the 2 or 3 most intelligent people I know. He has his masters degree in philosophy and he is also a preacher - he is a fully ordained Methodist minister. He's a great guy and a good friend, but his life is going down the tubes and it's absolutely depressing to watch what he's done to himself.
  2. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    *bump*

edit: This time of year, it's easy to make a mistake and misjudge your limits. The cops know this, and they're looking for it.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Sorry bud, I have no sympathy for someone who drives under the influence, especially twice. Thank goodness he didn't harm or kill himself or someone else.

-Mike
  4. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

The first DWI was pretty dumb, but to do it again while already having a case underway for the first?

I don't care how many degrees he has, that's just stupid.

Just glad he didn't hurt or kill any innocent people.

Blunt, yes, but honest!
  5. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

I lost one of my best friends to a drunk driver five years ago, so trust that I understand your sentiment.

He definitely deserves his jail time. He does not deserve to be beaten and/or get raped in prison.
  6. MJ5150

I can agree with that.

-Mike
  7. Lee H

Lee H

I read somewhere that the US has a disproportionately high percentage of highly intelligent people incarcerated in it's prison system.
    The author sited that society celebrates physical beauty and athletic prowess, while it chastises the intelligent individuals for being "nerds". These individuals often lack coping skills and the support of others because their lifestyle is more isolated.
  8. MJ5150

Hey Lee! Good to see you posting. I hope you're alright.

-Mike
  9. Nev375

Nev375

QFT.

Ive often wondered why there seems to be a disproportionate majority of below-average intelligence persons out there in the world. They even seem to hold all the positions of power. Then I realized..a lot of the other intelligent people are hermits just like myself and have sequestered themselves to a life indoors on the internet. The real world is just too dangerous unpredictable and stupid to live in.

That thought alone makes me think I'm in need of a drink.
  10. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Yeah, this too. Doesn't deserve physical abuse.
  11. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Been there, done that. I used to have more alcohol in my veins than blood, I was too depressed and just couldn't figure a way out.

I surely deserve some beating for drunk driving even if it was in the middle of the night and empty streets, very short distance.:scowl::mad::rollno:

I sometimes think, "what if I wasn't that lucky?". I'd Beecher in OZ, simple as that.:meh:

The woman I gave the ring to, left me during my military service. Things weren't that good before but you just don't do that to a soldier, that's just low, way too low. I came back as a mess, but figured it wasn't worth it. I had learned my lesson, no more DUI for me. A b**** just isn't worth it.:scowl:
  12. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

Hopefully you'll feel better after your visit with him. I've done (short) time in 3 counties in two states and have known several people who have done county time for rather extended periods. The odds of being raped are really, really low. It's possible to get your @$$ kicked, but that's also unlikely because the majority or county inmates just want to get out.

Things may different in Texas though. Good luck.
  13. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

He is in county jail, not penitentiary. Its gonna be rough on him, but he will get through it. I'm pretty sure he wont be beaten or raped, those stories are greatly exaggerated.
  14. groooooove

groooooove

+1000000

don't care what the circumstances are.
  15. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Sorry to hear this JR. You said he is in the penitentiary. Did you mean the county jail? Usually for a shorter stretch like 100 days that is where they send people. Tell him to get in with the Christians there on jail and he should be okay.
    I know your friend has had a rough time lately but as you know the drinking and doping to extremes can make it worse. I did that myself for over ten years and eventually it stopped working for me. I would be wasted bit still feel the pain. This may be a wake up call for him.
  16. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

The majority of guys he will face in prison will be trying to keep their head down as well, I wager. From reading a bunch of accounts of time in US prison, there is the 'nutter' section, where it is genuinely scary, but the rest is usually not as bad as is made out. I would bet money that he won't be raped. It won't be a picnic for him either, but it isn't Shawshank Redemption in there.
  17. Hopkins

He is going to be in Harris County Jail if he is in Houston. He wont be in prison
  18. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

Is that better or worse?
  19. Hopkins

There is no such thing as county prison. Prison is for long term inmates. Yeah if he goes out looking for trouble in jail its easy to find it. But if he plays it cool he will be fine.
  20. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Houston has way too many drunk driving a'holes. It's an epidemic. I'm sorry for your friend and I hope he gets the help he needs and never ever does it again.