Please give me some YouTube Jazz Bass lines to learn

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jarrett, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Supporting Member

I learn songs for gigs every week in the categories of contemporary worship, classic rock, funk, etc. I just find the song on YouTube and grab the bass line by ear. Even though I don't have any Jazz gigs, I would like to start doing the same thing with some Jazz tunes to help expand my Jazz knowledge base.

I was hoping TB members that are familiar with Jazz could give me some suggestions for lines to start with. Preferably starting with the more foundational lines and then moving more into the advanced stuff.

Does anyone have any suggested tunes to get started on?

Thanks in advance.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Just go get a fake book and play some standards. Otherwise, Autumn Leaves, Don't Get Around Much Anymore, and Girl From Ipanema for some random toss outs.
  3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Jarrett, it doesn't quite work that way. You want to play SMOKE ON THE WATER or XYZ (or Brandenburg No.3 for that matter), sure, you go grab the recording or the score and you can walk into pretty much any situation with folks you don't know and play that part and everything will work out OK. It's kind of like learning a part for a play, no matter where you go, the lines of the play are pretty much the same, whether it's RICHARD THE IIIrd at the Royal Shakespeare set in historical times or the film version set in WWII.
    Jazz is more like a conversation. Sure, you're talking about a subject, but the direction of the conversation is up to you and the people you're having it with. You can have a conversation about the same subject with a different group of people and it will go in a totally different direction.
    Just taking a tune from DIM's list above, AUTUMN LEAVES
    Bill Evans
    Cannonball
    Jean Michel Pilc
    Keith Jarrett
    Booker Ervin
    Stan Getz
    and on and on and on. Everybody is playing over the same harmonic framework and with the same melody, but if you learned (for example) the bass line off of the Cannonball record and the group you were playing with wanted to do it as a waltz, that line is just not going to do you any good.
    What WILL do you some good is listening to a lot of this music (like I did above, get a tune and find as many versions as you can) to get the way the language sounds in your ear, start getting a foundation in the fundamentals of functional harmony, so you know how chords are built and how they function, start doing a lot of ear training so that you can HEAR how those chords are built and how they function so that this is an AURAL experience, not just an intellectual one.
  4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Jarrett, listen to Ray Brown (I don't think Ray ever played a bad note). Listen to him play blues. Jazz blues is a little different than "traditional" blues. Start there b/c the blues should be familiar to you and you should be able to hear the extra changes. Write them down when you figure them out. Then try to learn what he's playing and analyze them against the chords.
  5. Register to disable this ad