Please help! 1959 Precision pot repair or replacement (pre-cbs content)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowjoe1, Mar 10, 2014.

1. lowjoe1

lowjoe1

Good evening, all. I've come here seeking advice on what my options are and how to proceed. During my last jam session with a buddy, the volume pot on my 1959 precision completely locked up. It simply wont turn at all. Even after taking off the pickguard, it wont turn. It is my main player, but keeping its value is also important to me, as I'm not made of money and may have to sell it someday. The pot code on the side reads:

220-17
    304-5942

Is there any way to repair it, or must I get a new one? If I must get a new one, does anyone have recommendations about what I should buy that wont mess up the rest of the 55 year old electronics? If it can be repaired, does anyone have suggestions on who might do a good job? Thanks in advance for ANY help you can give me.
  2. lowjoe1

lowjoe1

Morning bump...
  3. eukatheude

eukatheude

You might want to try some electronics cleaning spray first of all.
  4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

If you have some experience with disassembling pots, I'd say very carefully take it apart to see exactly what is jamming it up. If not, bring it to a very well trained technician. Old pots can be repaired if the wafer is intact.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Caig DeoxIT D5
  7. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

+1 for Deoxit as a first attempt. Remove the pot from the plate if possible. Drench it in Deoxit and slowly try to loosen it up.

Bring the pot to a repair shop if that doesn't fix it.

Worst case, replace it with another 250K Log/Audio (A250K / 250KA / 250K Audio) pot. It's not going to make a difference in tone. I'd recommend getting a nice CTS pot from StewMac. You can request they test and ship a +/-1% tolerance on the pot as well... you'll pay a little more from StewMac than other vendors but with that type of service it's hard not to use them given their quality inventory.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Make sure to keep the old pot safe if you replace it. Obviously you have to have a working pot for the bass to be worth anything, but changing pots does affect the value, and those who are in the market for one of those babies would want the original pot even if it doesn't work.
  9. Cadfael

Cadfael

Are there any experts in / arround Tennessee?

JimmyM is absolutely right ... Every soldering mark and explaination lowers the value of this bass with original pots ...

I recommend to look for an expert who might save the old pots. I would not try any pot cleaner without knowing the result ...
    If impossible and you have to replace the pots, save the pots in a plastic bag or similar.
  10. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

It's a spray cleaner, not a Brillo pad.
  11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

If at all possible, save the original pot. Deoxit may very well free it up. If not you may need to remove the pot cover and see if there is anything inside physically obstructing it.

You are a brave man using a 59 P as your main axe.
  12. AGH

AGH Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
  13. Hopkins

I wonder if there are any pots that will work with the original pot cans. That way a new pot will still have the original numbers.
  14. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Some time ago I had a pot lock up on an inexpensive bass that had been sitting my closet for a while. I sprayed it with pot cleaner, and that freed it up.

These days I'd use Deoxit D5, as folks have suggested above.
  15. lowjoe1

lowjoe1

Thanks for all the replies, I had never heard of the deoxit. As far as me using it as my main axe, why else would I have it? :)
  16. Hopkins

Recording, playing at home, maybe a gig every once in a while if its not at a hole in the wall venue where it may be stolen or damaged. The same reason people dont use their classic car as a daily driver
  17. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Why not have a good tech take the pot apart and replace the guts.
    If he is careful not to leave tools marks on the case, it would be a righteous repair.
    Also no change to the solder joints.
    I would still keep the guts.
  18. lowjoe1

lowjoe1

I've been told this can't be done?...
  19. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

OP, if you go the DeoxIT route, go easy. Spray some in the hole, both directions if possible, quick bursts, as soon as it squirts take your finger off. Then WAIT a couple of minutes. Give it time to ooze around and penetrate. Then spray again and try to ease the knob right and left. Don't force it, just keep trying to ease it right and left.
  20. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

I'm with you, I use my 64' jazz as my main axe too.. Life is short ;)

Plus another vote for deoxit.
  21. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

Sell it on ebay?