Please help date this P-bass (w/ pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sbpark, Jan 25, 2013.

1. sbpark

sbpark

I just picked up this P-bass this morning. No idea how old it is or what year it is (but I have my guesses and am keeping my fingers crossed. I'm not a bass player (banjo, guitar, ukulele) and was looking for a cheap MIM to throw a Badass bridge and Fralin pup in, and came across this one...

Obviously the Badass bridge isn't stock, and neither is the Dimarzio pup. The serial number dates it to around 1975, and has the "f" on the neck plate which was done around this time if I understand it correctly. I have attached pics of the neck but unfortunately cannot identify the stamp on it. I've also attached pics of the neck joint, since maybe someone could identify the stamps/markings in there. The pots have the numbers: 032367, 1377613, 250K-A on them.

So what's the consensus? I paid $250 for this P-bass and a Crate BX-40 amp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

I can't help you with a date but for $250 you got a swinging deal !
  3. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Major score! even if it plays like a boat anchor, that thing is worth good $
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. millsbass5

millsbass5

Your're damn skippy you got a great deal! I ABSOLUTELY cannot express how much I love the really old DiMarzio Pickups. I have a DiMarzio P-pup from the 70's in my Jazz Bass Special. I purchased it used in the late 70's, and it's been in every bass I've had with a P-Bass route in it.
  7. sbpark

sbpark

It actually plays really well. Funny thing, I took it by my buddy's on my way home and said, "check this out". He replied before I opened the case, "It smells like my birth year!" He was born in '75 (I was born in '76) which is right around where the SN# on the neck plate dates it, but who knows. It could be an old neck plate that was put on there.

Waiting for someone who could give me a better idea of when this bass was made and if it is in fact from the '70's.
  8. portlandguy

portlandguy

Ill give you $300 for it - PM me
  9. sbpark

sbpark

Haha. This is a keeper.
  10. Mikio

Mikio

11. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Appears to be around 1975-1976. What a deal you got dude! :cool:
  12. Dluxe

Dluxe

And I thought I scored with my '77 for $599. I love the sunburst finishes on the mid to late 70's Fender basses. The pots date to early '76 so that is what I'm guessing. Just before they switched to the smaller logo and S76 decal numbers on the headstock.
  13. frontroom

frontroom

14. sbpark

sbpark

The one thing I've noticed about this bass is it has no wear on the neck, the body is in great shape, no checking (I'm assuming it's a nitro finish), it's just dirty. Picked up some new D'Addario EXL170's for it, will clean it and polish it up and see how she sounds.
  15. BoomBoomOGTL

BoomBoomOGTL Supporting Member

^^ No, it's poly. Fender went poly in the late 60s (1968 IIRC) ...
  16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    If the neck plate is original to the bass it is a 1975. Great deal!
  17. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Someone got ripped off, BIG time.
  18. sbpark

sbpark

I wouldnt say that they got ripped off (at least knowingly). in all honesty I took a chance on it, had no idea what it was either, and then started dating it at home. Please don't think I went into it knowing what it was. I am not an authority on Fender basses, it says nowhere on it where it was made, and had no idea about dating the SN# until I got it home. I just don't want people to think I took the seller for a ride. Was all in good faith. I figured it was worth a chance for $250. It just happened to work out in my favor. everyone has access to the internet and the seller could have easily done a quick search to get an idea of it's worth and when it was made, etc. just like I did when I got it home. I took off the neck, dated the SN# on the neck plate, etc. Something anyone with a little motivation can do.
  19. sbpark

sbpark

Just cleaned her up, polished the bridge, tuners and frets, cleaned and polished the body and neck. I'm still blown away and how little neck wear there is on the back of the neck. The frets were REALLY dirty, almost tarnished looking, as were the knobs, but everything shined up pretty good. Now I just have to throw some strings on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Well, now you know. It's you who lives with it.
  21. sbpark

sbpark

whatever. You'd be stoked too if you took a chance on an instrument and turned out to be a score. I won't have any trouble sleeping at night.