Please help! David Simmons Bass issue?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by donkeygrl, Jan 10, 2014.

1. donkeygrl

donkeygrl

I posted this in the repair thread but thought this section might get more views...hope it is ok mods that I posted here ...Newby poster but I have lurked for awhile and love the site!
    Anyhoo, I JUST purchased a David Simmons bass from my local Sam Ash for my Birthday/Christmas present. I was so excited and elated with my purchase. The bass is beautiful and sounds AMAZING!:hyper:
    However the action was rather high. So I took it to my local guitar tech expert to set it up for me. After he looked at it he found a bow in the neck and went to adjust the truss rod.
    Here is the problem.......
    The truss is almost an inch in and there is no tool for it.... He thinks it has been broken off!:crying:

However I am not familiar with these basses and am hoping it is not broken off but just needs a special tool or something. Upon inspection it looks as though there is no barrel nut attached to the rod??? If this is so can that be replaced??:help:

I really hate to have to return it - this isn't my pic but this is the bass I ended up with ...I got it from Sam Ash but I believe they got it from the estate sale in a round about way... http://www.flickr.com/photos/89602049@N03/8163562765/in/set-72157631951186979

Please help me out guys! Any info or direction would be much appreciated!!!
    D.:bassist:
  2. pfox14

pfox14

If the bass has a screwed up truss rod, why not return it? I'd get my money back or a replacement in a heartbeat.
  3. donkeygrl

donkeygrl

I guess I hesitate because with David Simmons passing these basses are not exactly easy to come by and I really LOVE the bass. I mean obviously if Sam Ash can't fix it or if I can't find someone who can then I will have to do an exchange. :(
  4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

That's a nice bass... I'd take it to an ACCOMPLISHED repairman to get his opinion.

At best, a new truss rod nut and a few spacers. At worst, they'll have to take the fretboard off and replace the truss rod. Might cost a few hundred bucks, but then you'll know it's RIGHT.

But if you REALLY like the bass, that's what you're going to have to find out FIRST.

FYI... before I would have bought that bass, I would have inspected the truss rod function as completely as I could. That's the only thing I couldn't easily fix myself. Then, I would have beaten it over the heads of the Sam Ash guys until they knocked a TON of money off the price.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. donkeygrl

donkeygrl

Ya MRO I really don't know why I didn't look - seriously a duh moment for me.... I mean I spent a couple hours playing it a few months ago...looked it up and down and compared it to the other 3 Simmons basses that were there...low balled it then but Sam Ash wouldn't play nice so I walked...fast forward to Dec. and I was still dreaming about the bass so my hubby managed to get me a big gift card there so I could get it.:smug:
    Since it was still there I low balled the price and this time we were able to work it out.

I guess my next question is does anyone know someone who knows what they are doing to look at it in Indiana around Indianapolis?:help:
  7. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I have a Simmons Thorus 5-string FL and it is a fine instrument. I was aware that Simmons' shop had closed, but I did not realize that he had passed away. Sad to learn that.

Regarding the truss rod - mine has a hex collar (for an allen wrench) that is recessed about 2 mm under the upper end of the fingerboard. Assuming that Dave used the same rod design on your bass, if that is missing, it's possible that a small locking wrench might be used to grasp the broken end of the rod to remove it, but that may be a long-shot.

Otherwise, you need to decide if a ~$200 repair is worth it. Removing the fingerboard to remove and replace the rod would likely run you at least that. Then, there's the question as to whether the bow is bad enough that even a new truss rod might not completely solve the problem. I would discuss all this with Sam Ash and see what your options are, assuming returns are allowed in your case. Best of luck!
  8. donkeygrl

donkeygrl

Thanks for the info Fretless :)
  9. donkeygrl

donkeygrl

DO NOT BUY FROM SAM ASH IN INDY!!! Hubby went today to Sam Ash and the tech in a round about way admitted to breaking the truss trying to adjust it and went ahead and put it on the sales floor anyway. The manager wouldn't even come out and talk to my husband - only via phone even though he was there. My husband called a luth and he said it would be $400 or more to fix and SA won't fix it or give me my money back ...only exchange the bass for a different one. And they plan on PUTTING THE BROKEN ONE BACK ON THE SALES FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hubby brought the other one home but I am not happy being how I really wanted the other one. He did check it and we took it straight to our local store where it checked out fine. ... Here is a pic
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/89602049@N03/8163560903/in/set-72157631951186979
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/89602049@N03/8163560819/in/set-72157631951186979

Lesson learned .......... :(
  10. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    That is criminal. Thanks for posting and I hope you report to the BBB. I also hope you enjoy the new bass at some point.:banghead: