1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Please help. How to achieve this sound....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chewy_B_i_T_s, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Chewy_B_i_T_s

Chewy_B_i_T_s

2. skwee

skwee

I'm assuming that's a synthesizer patch, not a guitar playing there. If you need to play it live, I'm not sure what you'd need. Sorry, probably not that helpful...

3. Chewy_B_i_T_s

Chewy_B_i_T_s

Thanks Skwee. I'm not looking to nail it but perhaps there is a pedal combo that will get me somewhat close.

I'm not trying to cover that song. It's just a good example of a bass sound I think would be cool to emulate.

4. ManuelJG

ManuelJG Supporting Member

I'd use a Low pass filter + Octaver and maybe a bit of fuzz.
    Cheers

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jay Q

Jay Q Supporting Member

I get very close to that kind of sound with the EHX Bass Micro Synth. The video on the page doesn't really show you how to get the sound from that track. Your starting point would be to boost the "sub octave" while keeping the "guitar" down/off and tweaking the "octave" and "square wave" to taste. You'd also set your "start freq" and "stop freq" fairly low at the same level and also tweak to taste.

7. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

A filter or LPF would help get the dub sound. The filter would need to be not engaged, but the freq bump where your taste settles. The other half is a fuzz. It's almost a Muse like tone, just different flavor. The SA Manta gets a good copy of it, probably could get clse enough, it does have a learning curve, but once you learn it, its easy. I am sure other synth pedals could do this, like the BSY600, or the Boss SYB-3/5, or the Micro Synth.

8. Chewy_B_i_T_s

Chewy_B_i_T_s

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate it.
    I think I have enough to get started in the right direction.

Take it easy,
    -JK