1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Please help ID a string on a new bass....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dredmahawkus, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

I have tried almost every string out there and I have no idea what these are! the only grey silks I know are on Sadowskys and they are lighter grey....it also has kind of a exposed core E string. they are roundwound....
    Anyone have any idea what these are???

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  2. GHS Official

GHS Official

Disclosures:
    Official Online Voice for GHS Strings & Rocktron
    Is this a new from the store bass, or new to you bass?

If it's the latter, it could be our Super Steels with a Contact Core E String. Both sets have silver/grey silks.
  3. Dredmahawkus

Its a used bass...an 08. who makes super steel?

It might be thicker then .105 too...it seems super thick like a .110
  4. GHS Official

GHS Official

Disclosures:
    We (GHS) make Super Steels.

If it is a Contact Core Super Steel, it's more than likely a .105, given where the silk is sitting on the tuning peg.
  5. Dredmahawkus

I dont think they are stainless...they are very warm with no finger noise at all....and it cant be a .105 it has to be .115! here is a pic of the other end E string

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  6. Dredmahawkus

they are also warmer but not deeper then boomers....and smoother then boomer in feel
  7. GHS Official

GHS Official

Disclosures:
    Without having the actual set in-hand, the best I can do - like everyone else here - is guess.
  8. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

Hey Dred~
    Im pretty dang sure those are stock Fender strings my man.
    Ive had several of those silver wrapped sets on Fender basses over the years and theyre great. Nice punch-great feel...
    probabnly 45-105's..Nickels..Not sure if the Fender sets over the counter have the Silver wraps but check into it..=)
    Best of luck!
  9. petergales

petergales

I agree - stock Fenders. My USA Fender Jazz (the one with the S1 switch) had strings that looked exactly like these when I bought it new from the shop. They were 45 - 110 nickels and that 110 E string had loads of bottom end on it. Unfortunately I lost confidence in them when the taper core unwound itself on a gig! It was the only time I'd ever 'broken' a string in over 20 years of playing bass.
  10. pfox14

pfox14

Does it really matter that much? Just get a new set in the same gauge. Wouldn't that simplify things?
  11. Dredmahawkus

they are fat....but I have the action so low its not really bothering me...I was going to put a set of .100 on it...but I dont want to touch it...and they do sound pretty dam good too...like Guy said punchy warm...and smooth.
    the guy told me they were Fender strings...but the 3 fenders I bougnt new in the last couple years had no silks at all...this is an older bass 08 american jazz. my new beater!
    The action is insane I only turn the truss rod an 8th of a turn touch the saddles a hair and its as nice of action as my selects! only problem is smells like it was in a electrical fire!

Does fender still make these strings? are they nickel wraped steel? like I said anytime I bought a new bass in the last couple years from fender they have had no silks. the ones on here now are brand new.
  12. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie-Spector Bass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups
    Looks like older stock Fender strings (discontinued for newer vendor). The E string could actually be a .110 taper core. Is so, those older Fender strings were great and longer lasting.
  13. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

what they said.
  14. Dredmahawkus

I have about 20 sets of .105 and .100 gauge...these are at least .110...and I can set the bass up no problem its not that...the nut might be filed too fat for smaller gauge and I really dont feel like super gluing a new nut one...and I kinda like these strings...I want a back up.

I can see the E coming unraveled! it looks strange exposed like that.
  15. Dredmahawkus

I think they are...can I get a back up anywhere? I kinda really like them!
  16. Dredmahawkus

check out these old Fenders I have...they are .095 but you think they are when they looked like this?

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  17. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Dred-

The strings on that one are Fender 8250M .045-.110tw (tapered), nickel plated steel round wound.

Enjoy the bass! :bassist:
  18. Root 5

Root 5

7150s are great strings! I love 'em!

The older version had yellow/gold silk at tuners; new version is unsilked.

I too think the strings in the OP are Fender.
  19. TimB 619

TimB 619

+1
  20. Dredmahawkus

I am still looking for a a couple replacement sets of the old Fender 8250s with the grey silks like these! If anyone has an extra set or 2 please sell them to me!!! I love these strings! they are so perfect on this bass! like a perfect marriage between bass and string! good thing Fender started using d'addarios now these strings without the silks are crap!