1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Please help ID this BTB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dmalkinski, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Dmalkinski

Dmalkinski

EDIT/UPDATE: The bass is a BTB405QM TK from World/Korea factory made in October 2004 with Ibanez p/u's (vs Bartolini). Read on if you want the short and sweet journey to the conclusion

Greetings Bass dudes :bassist:

Can anyone tell which BTB model this is? I'm thinking of picking it up local but I'd like to be reasonably sure what I'm getting into first. The owner says he doesn't know the model but says the pickups are Bartolini - but in the pics they say "Ibanez". Is he pulling my leg? What do you think?:help:

Edit - OK - the owner now says it's 505QM with maple/bubinga neck and p/u's made by Bartolini and it's about 14months old. Is this even possible? I haven't been able to find any 505 spec that wasn't a solid mahogany body. Plus - I thought the 505's should all be several years old

Edit: The Forum consensus so far is that it's probably a 4*5QM from the early 2000's with pickups made by Bartolini If you look at the two Ibanez spec sheets(link below) you can see that the 455QM tuning machines are angled down. So it's gotta be the 405QM, right? (Unless the serial number somehow indicates different...)

Edit: The serial he gave is WX401401 (or maybe WX40141 - I blew up the photo of the back and the serial looks like it can be only 5 characters. I probably wrote it down wrong when he told me). I think the 'W' means "world factory" but that's all I've found on that so far.

Here's what Ibanez has to say about the BTB405QM :
    http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page.php?PAGE_ID=277&COLOR=CL01&AREA_ID=3

and about the BTB455QM :
    http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page.php?PAGE_ID=219&COLOR=CL02&AREA_ID=2

indicating that the 405 came with DFR (Dynamic Full Range?) pickups and the 455 came with Bartolini MK1's.

Here's some pics(kinda big):
    http://shup.com/Shup/172693/Ibanez-001.JPG
    http://shup.com/Shup/172691/Ibanez-002.JPG
    http://shup.com/Shup/172692/Ibanez-003.JPG

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(not asking the "how much do you think it's worth" question because the forum sticky says I'm not allowed)
  2. vinxbass

vinxbass

It looks like a BTB405QM, I've got one. This one and mine have Ibanez pups. If I knew the year that would help. Mine is a 2001.
  3. Swin

Swin

Disclosures:
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    Its either a 405 or 455 QMTK model, probbably the 405 from around 2003, These btb's have "custom made" barts for ibanez and carry the ibanez logo on the pickup cover because of this...but they are barts at heart still!

if you post the serial it might confirm this...
  4. Dmalkinski

Dmalkinski

Hey -guys - thanks for the replies/help. - I'm consolidating any information gathered into the OP. The serial is in the OP now in case that helps.
  5. Dmalkinski

Dmalkinski

It's starting to look like the guy doesn't have what he thinks/says he has. Since he originally just stated "BTB" and drew a blank when I asked "Which model?" I honestly don't think he's trying to pull a fast one. He might just be trying find more info from the interweb - same as me.

Assuming we (and by "we" I mean you fine gentlemen) can get a positive model ID - Any suggestions on how to clue him in (so I can pay a fair price) without making it sound like I'm calling him a liar?
  6. Swin

Swin

Disclosures:
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    just ask him for the serial number on the back of the headstock and we can do the rest!
  7. Meatrus

Meatrus

Hi,

The serial number means it is from October (X) 2004 (4), which is the first year I believe they made them (anyone correct me if I'm wrong). I have a 6 string version from the same year which I love, but it ways a couple of tons ;)
  8. Swin

Swin

Disclosures:
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    Yeah built in January 2004, BTB405QM TK with the following details...

5pc BTB5 maple/ walnut neck
    Quilted Maple top/ walnut/ basswood body
    Medium frets
    MR-2 bridge (19mm spacing)
    DFR-N5 neck pup
    DFR-B5 bridge pup
    Vari-Mid 3B2 3-band EQ
    Elixir strings

so no...they aren't barts pickups on this particular BTB... but this is a Korean production bass, not Indonesian. The quality from the Samick, Cortek & World factories are really decent - so it's still a great bass!
  9. Meatrus

Meatrus

Found the serial number I take it?:rolleyes:;)

Why is it January, I thought X was October?
  10. Swin

Swin

Disclosures:
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    haha..it is!, its too early here in sydney and until i get to the coffee machine, i'm gonna make mistakes all morning!

but the spec and model is correct, so the answer remains the same.
  11. Meatrus

Meatrus

lol, its 1:15AM here, do I win?:ninja:
  12. Dmalkinski

Dmalkinski

Thank you Meatrus, Swin, & vinxbass! It's so cool to get help so fast from around the world from good folks like yourselves.

I'll go back to the seller with this info:
    BTB405QM TK from World/Korea factory made in October 2004 with Ibanez p/u's (vs Bartolini).

vinxbass says he has a 405QM from 2001.

Thanks again for all your time and effort!:hyper::hyper::hyper:
  13. Meatrus

Meatrus

Glad to help. And yes I was completely wrong about the first ones being 2004, I had seen an article from 2004 saying they had just been launched, so I still don't know what it was on about!

Good luck buying the bass, I really like them and can recommend buying it fully (just as long as you don't have a bad back/shoulder!)
  14. CraigMack

CraigMack

~bump

Looks like I have got my hands on the same bass.
    Bought it being told it is a BTB405QM.

Few questions:
    1) Can someone help me ID the year and true specs.
    S/N say: CE Korea WY 01150
    2) What Barts will fit in this guy as upgrades without any routing or other modding?
    3) Is there a Bart preamp upgrade?
    It has the Ibanez labeled DFR pups. I upgraded my SR305 with Bart MK-1s, and thought I could just put them in this BTB, but the MK-1s are too short.

Thanks!
  15. CraigMack

CraigMack

...and can i post a pic of the guitar here showing the s/n?
    and how do i do that?
    i don't see a button that lets me add an attachment.

please be easy on me. i'm a TB newbie!

thanks in advance...
  16. CraigMack

CraigMack

17. Daedraziel

Daedraziel Supporting Member

Ok then... IM HIJACKING THIS THREAD!!! I've got a BTB570fm that I love to death but a friend of mine gave me this old pig pictured to fix up/polish and setup. This is after the job and it plays like a dream now, but which model is it? It doesn't say. Jazz pups, bolt on neck and 3 knobs.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387934650.390082.jpg
  18. CraigMack

CraigMack

Lol!

Well good luck getting a response because I've only heard crickets. It's been a lousy welcome to TB for me?

ps. and how to I post a pic? I cannot figure that out. I see no button to include an attachment.

Feeling mighty LOWend!
  19. Daedraziel

Daedraziel Supporting Member

The app on the iPhone makes it easy. But on PC you have to insert a hosted link to an image.
  20. CraigMack

CraigMack

I get an error msg that user may not have access.

What's up with that? I'm doing this reply on my iPhone.