Please help identify bass head/cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BigDaddyMick, Mar 7, 2012.

1. BigDaddyMick

BigDaddyMick

Thanks in advance to all.

Meeting a guy in 5 hours for what we believe to be bass equipment. :hyper:
    He is currently at work, so I can't get the specifics just yet, but I do have a picture he sent me of what I believe to be a Peavey Musician 400 [he identified it as a peavey head series 400 700 watt (from 1970's)]and an Ampeg cab.
    I know that both manufacturers made equipment for guitars, and I know it's hard to tell from just a picture, but ANY help at all would be appreciated from you fine folks.

Attached Files:

• Pic.jpg
      Pic.jpg
      File size:
      18 KB
      Views:
  2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The Peavey is a bass, or sort of all purpose amp. The cab is upsidedown.
  3. BigDaddyMick

BigDaddyMick

Thanks for the help. The best I can do is flip the pic....lol.

Attached Files:

4. 4-stringB

4-stringB

the Peavey head is a Series 400, the output is 210 watts @ 2ohms, the 700 watts refers to the power consumed by the amp.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BigDaddyMick

BigDaddyMick

It seems to be a common mistake for people to do that. Glad you chimed in with better specs :D

Keep those comments coming!! I really appreciate it guys!!!
  7. BigDaddyMick

BigDaddyMick

More info:
    Just heard back from the seller. He's asking $50, and so far 3 people are scheduled to show up.
    Provided that it is in working order, what would be a fair cutoff price for the amp + cab?
    I don't really want to get into some crazy bid war over this, but $50 seemed cheap enough!!
  8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Anything that works is worth $50. Some things that don't work are worth $50 if you can spot an easy fix the seller didn't.:)
  9. BigDaddyMick

BigDaddyMick

Agreed. I'd like to say I've got a good deal of electronics repair (minus a bunch of tube experience I wished I had) down pat. I'm just new to bass equipment, especially amp/head combos.
    Sounds like throwing a fifty for some mediocre gear wouldn't be too bad of a deal...
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Looks like an old V4 cab from the 70's, probably a 412. Not going to be a cab that can take a lot of bass punishment, but it will take some and sound pretty great doing so. I'd hit it.
  11. BigDaddyMick

BigDaddyMick

Awesome. Thanks Jimmy!
  12. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

if as Jimmy says that's a V4 cab, then ask JohnK_10 how he likes his loaded w/4 Eminence Deltalite 2512II's :cool:
  13. Tuned

Tuned

The '70's CV speakers from the V4 cab would probably be worth as much as Eminence Deltalites actually.
  14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Yeah could be a V4 cab. Could also be a B40 which was a 4x10 of very similar dimensions to the V4 4x12. Either way, the original speakers were spec'd out to handle around 100-120 watts in either cab. The 12s in the V4 are guitar speakers, so you'd probably want to swap them for bass speakers though some people use them as is without issue. For the B40 the speakers are cheaper eminence or CTS speakers, similar in construction/visible appearance to the 15" speakers used the B15 amps of the time. Neither would be the greatest of cabs for loud, pounding bass, but certainly a decent find if you get it cheap.
  15. BigDaddyMick

BigDaddyMick

Well...got there about 10 minutes early. Had him fire it up (he had a 7 string guitar), and it made noise, so I called it good.
    He lived in a tiny apartment, and couldn't really crank it up.
    Flashed the cash, he helped load it, and got out of there before 9 pm. :ninja:

Upon getting it home and plugging it in, I noticed that I have my work cut out for me. I'm not sure if I have a bad amp (easily distorts, low volume) or an issue with the cab. Not an issue, cuse I'm no stranger to electronics. :D

I do like Peavey though, as I will have all the information I'll ever need when I email them in the morning.

The cab is a V-4, 4x12, as noted in the pics. Sorry for the quality of the pics, as I literally had 20 minutes to get them in the door, snap pics, test it, and leave for work.

For $50, I could have done worse....:smug:

Thanks again for all the help. You guys rock!!!! :hyper:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      150.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      132.9 KB
      Views:
  16. BigDaddyMick

BigDaddyMick

2 more of the amp

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      171.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      233.2 KB
      Views:
  17. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Cool, man. I love deals like that.

Couple easy things to find cab problems, or eliminate it as a problem.....

Visually inspect the cones for tears, seams coming apart, etc. Gently pushing in on each one a couple times listening for scraping sounds coming from inside the speaker (voice coil rub). If the checks out, plug in a speaker cable and touch a 9V battery terminals to the tip and sleeve on the free end. The cones should all jump out or in together depending on which way you flip the battery. If that works, it's good. The ones that don't move are bad. Being so old I'd also be inclined to take them out and check the spiders on the back side for dryrot, etc.

Good score.
  18. BigDaddyMick

BigDaddyMick

Oh yeah. It will get a full going over in the morning, inside and out. :D :smug:
  19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Well, you got a V4 and an amp that between the 2, sort of works for $50. Can't beat that with a stick.
  20. BigDaddyMick

BigDaddyMick

Yep. Thanks for the help.
    For some sick reason I like to score deals like this.
    I scored my Peavey TKO 115 S for $100. Needed a bit of cab repair, some jacks, and a good cleaning on the pots.
    POOF....sounds like new :D
  21. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    Nice score. The V4 is more of a guitar amp than a bass amp but you can use it for either.