Please help me choose a preamp pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by matante, Jan 23, 2013.

1. matante

matante

I'm looking for an inexpensive preamp pedal that will give me a clean sound and boost my signal to line-level or close to it. I'd like something that can run on batteries and I don't want an XLR. I'd like it to be small and under $200 new.

I considered the EWS Tri-Logic but am unconvinced by the demos. Also, the reviews imply that the output is low.

I think the VT Bass could work, but I'm not crazy about the sounds I hear on the demos--too rock. It's such a familiar sound it's cliche.

I also considered the Leeds but again all these pedals seem to be aimed at guys who use overdrive, which generally I don't.

Any other options out there? And remember I want a small or smallish pedal so anything with an XLR out will probably be too big. Thanks.
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'm a preamp junkie and I can't seem to think of one that fits your specifications I like the Tri-Logic it can be run at 18v for more headroom I also like the Xotic Effects BB preamp but it may not have enough juice for your needs.
  3. matante

matante

Thanks. If I can't find anything I'll probably buy the VT Bass but I think there must be some other option out there. The pedal doesn't have to be small, I just want something smaller than those preamp/DI pedals like the BDDI, M80, etc.
  4. matante

matante

Forgot to mention, I saw something called the Submarine Designer that looked promising but it's not made anymore and I don't know how much it would cost if I could find one.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I could be wrong but I don't think the VT pedal does line level.
  7. matante

matante

It does. You can use it straight into a power amp.
  8. matante

matante

Can you tell me what the output is like with the Tri-Logic?

I've read you need to crank the volume just to get your original signal level. Is this true?
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You're right, but some power amps need more than it will deliver.
  10. matante

matante

I just need something that will get me to line-level or close to it. The VT Bass would certainly get me close to 0 db. Thanks good enough.
  11. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Is the Tone Hammer too big? It'll drive a power amp. Fantastic tone. Don't know about the battery thing though.
  12. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The VT is your best bet and seems to suit all your needs. Don't judge it by the demos..I used mine on alt country, fusion, you name it. It's not just a "dirty" pre. I was using it as an always on clean boost that could get gnarley if i wanted it to
  13. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

I have one, and it's great!

But it doesn't take batteries, and is near impossible to find anymore since Electronix (Ziebek) went out of business a few years ago.

I'm never selling mine, that's for sure. ;)

My only suggestion is an Aguilar Tonehammer, but that's probably too big as it does have an xlr out. But it is loud, maybe line level... I know it can drive a power amp.
  14. matante

matante

Thanks for all the replies. The Tone Hammer is too big and over my budget as well. Looks like the VT Bass is my best (only) option.

I still think there has to be something else out there so if you think of something let me know!
  15. ma4rk

ma4rk

Have you considered an EQ pedal?
  16. matante

matante

If it will boost my signal that much, I'm open to it. I looked at the Barber Linden EQ which has a volume knob but doesn't say how high the output is.
  17. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Carl Martin makes a preamp with a parametric EQ. It does have an xlr, but doesn't look very big. Might be worth looking at. Musician's Friend carries it.
  18. matante

matante

Thanks but it's too expensive and doesn't run on batteries.
  19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I think the VT Bass is the best bet if you can wait and catch a used v2 it sounds better with the speaker sim off and makes the pedal more versatile.
  20. project_c

project_c

+1 on the Tri-Logic, mine is on all the time, and I haven't had any output volume issues with it at all when used with a Fender Jazz. I think it's the only pedal I've ever used that I've kept on permanently since buying it.
  21. ShowKing

ShowKing

VT bass. I think you will love its versatility after spending some time with it. The demos dont really do justice.

I have the original VT bass that is always on but I think for you, getting the version 2 would be worth it for the extra versatility of speaker sim defeat.

I hear they are releasing VT bass DI this year but if you don't need XLR out, the VT bass v2 will be for you.