1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Please help me choose a set of short scale Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stillwater, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Stillwater

Stillwater

Hey everybody,

I just recently purchased an Epiphone EB0. Its the 30.5 inch short scale model. This bass will be used for a Roots Rock/Americana project that me and a couple buddies are starting up so I am going for a vintage tone. I know i want flatwounds but need help choosing the proper set.

i love how the bass currently plays with the factory strings (im guessing they are mediums?). So I would prefer to find flatwounds that have close to the same tension as my factory strings. I want to still be able to bend notes occasionally, so I want to avoid high tension strings. But i sometimes play with a heavy right hand so I don't want really loose, floppy strings either. Somewhere in the middle would be perfect. Cost isn't really an issue because i understand flats last a very long time.

Thank you guys for the help.
  2. gary m

gary m

From my experience with my Epi EB3 short scale, I can recommend either GHS Precision Flats or Pyramid Golds. GHS flats are available in several places on the web; the best prices on Pyramids that I know of are at www.stringsandbeyond.com
  3. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I had a whole exchange with TB user Slapin'Funk, who owns Bass Strings Online about this not so long ago. You can find that discussion under the topic "short scale sets?" in the strings sub-forum. It came down to him recommending D'Addario chromes' short scale set for my Gretsch G2220, which has a 30" scale length.
  4. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

The GHS set has a medium tension feel and gives a traditional warm flat wound sound.
    D'Addario Chromes might work well for you too. They're a little brighter sounding and also medium tension.

Both sets are fairly inexpensive and easy to get...they're a good place to jump into trying flats.
  5. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

6. Root 5

Root 5

I'm not sure GHS flats would work on this instrument due to the tailpiece; I think the strings would be too short. GHS short scale flats are 32" from the ball to the silk.