1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Please help me choose a set of short scale Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stillwater, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Stillwater

Stillwater

Hey everybody,

I just recently purchased an Epiphone EB0. Its the 30.5 inch short scale model. This bass will be used for a Roots Rock/Americana project that me and a couple buddies are starting up so I am going for a vintage tone. I know i want flatwounds but need help choosing the proper set.

i love how the bass currently plays with the factory strings (im guessing they are mediums?). So I would prefer to find flatwounds that have close to the same tension as my factory strings. I want to still be able to bend notes occasionally, so I want to avoid high tension strings. But i sometimes play with a heavy right hand so I don't want really loose, floppy strings either. Somewhere in the middle would be perfect. Cost isn't really an issue because i understand flats last a very long time.

Thank you guys for the help.

2. gary m

gary m

From my experience with my Epi EB3 short scale, I can recommend either GHS Precision Flats or Pyramid Golds. GHS flats are available in several places on the web; the best prices on Pyramids that I know of are at www.stringsandbeyond.com

3. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I had a whole exchange with TB user Slapin'Funk, who owns Bass Strings Online about this not so long ago. You can find that discussion under the topic "short scale sets?" in the strings sub-forum. It came down to him recommending D'Addario chromes' short scale set for my Gretsch G2220, which has a 30" scale length.

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

The GHS set has a medium tension feel and gives a traditional warm flat wound sound.
    D'Addario Chromes might work well for you too. They're a little brighter sounding and also medium tension.

Both sets are fairly inexpensive and easy to get...they're a good place to jump into trying flats.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

7. Root 5

Root 5

I'm not sure GHS flats would work on this instrument due to the tailpiece; I think the strings would be too short. GHS short scale flats are 32" from the ball to the silk.

8. wunderola

wunderola Supporting Member

I really love Rotosound black nylon strings, the RS88's. I play these on a 1970 EB0. Be sure to get the short scale set, as it's easy to get the wrong size

9. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

+1 for the Pyramids, great strings IMO. My experience with them is from a Höfner Beatle bass.

10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Just put a set of LaBella Deep Talking Flats (760-FS from bassstringsonline.com) on my Gretsch 2202. Holy Moley! Just too incredible. Gigged them yesterday, and I had several people come up at the gig and tell me how great my bass sounded. Sure, people have commented on my [great] playing, but never just on the sound.

There were no bright sounds, just thick, solid bass. I actually turned the bass down a little on my MB combo. If you want upper mids - get the Chromes, but I don't like 'em.

11. I'm using D'Addario ETB92S Nylon Tapewounds on my Gibson SG Spl. 30.5" Short scale. They give a terrific flat sound, as intended by D'Addario.

[​IMG]

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member