Please, help me identify the wood of my '78 Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shedua511, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Shedua511

Shedua511

Disclosures:
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    A while back I got this beautiful and great sounding Stingray.
    I would like you wood experts to confirm or deny my impression that it is alder. I know it isn't ash, and it's relatively light for a vintage Stingray: it weighs in at 4.3 kg (9.48 lb I believe).
    The mutes are brand new, they were missing and I got a replacement part from EB. The sunburst is kind of faded, but I believe it's original (the headstock and fingerboard are very yellowed and worn. I believe the dude that owned this played a lot of smoky clubs... he surely used a heavy cologne, this is a good smelling bass!)
    So what do you think? Is it alder or am I wrong?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Davo-London

Davo-London

Looks like alder to me. Although it would be slightly more marked than most alders. I agree it doesn't look like ash.

Davo
  3. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

It might be poplar, which is known to brown like that over time.
  4. Down_Low

Down_Low

I was thinking poplar too. Know there were early Stingrays that used it, not sure about alder though?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mongo2

mongo2

I agree on poplar but according to some references I've seen poplar is usually used with opaque finishes so it's a bit odd for poplar to be used with a transparent finish.
  7. Lo-E

Lo-E

According to a tech at Ernie Ball whom I spoke to a couple of years ago (I'm sorry, but I can't remember his name), throughout the entire time that MM basses have been in production most of the solid colored basses were poplar and most of the transparent colors were ash. He told me that alder shows up occasionally, but not often and that the "rules" were not especially strict; they sometimes used whatever they had on hand to finish a production run.
  8. Shedua511

Shedua511

Disclosures:
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    This is a pre EB bass, but probably the thinking was the same: Leo was a practical man.
    I hadn't tought of poplar, maybe that's it, though the front has a grain that doesn't scream poplar to me (there's quite a bit of difference in grain front to back).
  9. Lo-E

Lo-E

The gentleman at EB was referring to the entire MM production period; both pre and post EB.
  10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

My previous sunburst preEB StinRay was alder. Most burst Pre BE Rays I've seen have been alder.