Please help me to finish with oil

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by hatria, Mar 7, 2014.

1. hatria

hatria

Hi I have an unfinished Warmoth Neck
    which is Q-sawn Maple/Q-sawn Maple.

I wanna finish it like Musicman Stingray neck.

I love the feeling of unfinished wood
    and also the way it gets dirty!!!!!!!!(Important issue for me)

How do I finish it?
    I heard that applying several coats of Tru-oil would make it.
    But its too shine and hard to aging it...

Boiled linseed oil finish? Tung oil?
    Which one should I finish with?

2. Manton Customs

Manton Customs UK Luthier Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Luthier, Manton Customs
    A low gloss oil finish is quite easy. You could use any of the finishes you listed, though I would probably choose Tung Oil as its not too glossy and is fairly hard wearing. Tru oil could be used also, you'd just need to rub it back a bit to get rid of the gloss or apply fewer coats. Whicever you use its not going to get dirty like an unfinished neck.

3. mrmills

mrmills

+1 tung oil, used it before and it give a very low build finish with a natural look to the wood.

From memory, the last time I used it to refinish a neck, I used the method below:
    Sand the neck smooth, to around 300-500 grit;
    Clean wood thoroughly with white spirit;
    apply a coat of tung oil/while spirit 50/50 mix;
    apply another coat of 50/50 mi;x
    apply a neat tung oil coat;
    apply another if desired;
    use very fine wire wool to smooth off.

Leave around 30 minutes and wipe off excess. I left a few hours between coats but you only need to wait until it is no longer tacky.

Make sure to keep dust and fibres out of the finish. It is a drying oil so it will trap anything in it once it dries.

4. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

If you want to finish it like a MM neck, then finish it the way EBMM does them. Use Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil and Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Wax.

I refinished my Sterling neck recently and posted some notes about it here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/little-neck-maintenance-1052322/

After it was all done, it does not have the exact bare wood feel that it had before. But, one, I probably put a bit more Tru-Oil on than I should have. Two, I fully expect a little playing time with it and it will get right back to that feeling. Three, if I had left off the Wax step, it would probably get back to that bare wood feel even more quickly. And, four, I'm SURE that if I just hit it with the sanding/buffing pads (detailed in my other thread), I could take it right back to that bare wood feel - while still having some of the Tru-Oil in the wood to help protect it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

If you want to see what a Tru-Oil finish looks like, compared to bare wood, here are some pics of a workbench I just built for myself. The top is birch. I put about 10 coats of Tru-Oil on the top, but none on the underside of the top, or the lower shelf, which was cut from the same sheet of plywood.

Top and bottom shelves. Top has 10 coats of Tru-Oil, but has not gotten the final sand and buff.
    [​IMG]

Top after final sand (using green and grey pads) and in the middle of the final buff. The left side in the picture is sanded. The right side (where it looks shiny and wet, though it's not actually wet) has been buffed with the white pad.
    [​IMG]

7. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

I use Tru-Oil, it will out last Tung & or Teak oils.

8. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

I used tongue oil once, about 10 coats without White Spirit because at that time I hadn't heard of that method. Used steel wool between coats. I'd try the method mentioned above with the white spirit/tongue oil mix. Sounds even better than what I did and mine looked great.