1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Please help me with what to buy...NOVICE!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrsNinaAllen, Oct 20, 2013.

1. MrsNinaAllen

MrsNinaAllen

Hi all
    Ive today joined this forum as I need some expert help please.
    I am purchasing a bass guitar for my husband for Christmas and I have no idea what to get.

This is what he will do with it:
    • Learn to play as a total beginner
    • Play reggae music (only)
    • Play in studio setting to record with Protools (no live performance or band...yet)

What do I need to get for him eg what make of guitar, strings, amp, connection to pro-tools etc? I would be so grateful for any advise. And please Im a total novice so keep that in mind as Im guessing there is a lot of "bass jargon and lingo" that I wont be familiar with.

Kindest regards
    Nina

2. Bruins29

Bruins29 Supporting Member

Just go to Guitar Center/music store and get a Fender squire or Mexico jazz bass. Very popular and inexpensive. If he likes playing then he can upgrade down the road. It will come with strings. You can get a package probably with a cord, stand, and a bag for the bass.

Just get a small combo amp. 50 watts should do it. Dont spend more than $500 for everything.

Are you planning on going to a store or buying online?

3. MrsNinaAllen

MrsNinaAllen

Thank you so much for writing. I will look into what you have recommended.
    Ive done some research and many have mentioned flat strings are better for reggae music but what do I know?
    Does it matter? And most important thing is that he will be able to record with pro-tools.

Anyways, thanks again and i will defo start my search.

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Hi Nina! A lot depends on your budget, but for reggae, you'll want a Fender-style bass. The most common in reggae is the Fender Jazz.

Fender has an entry level brand called Squier that are very well-made, and are a good choice for a beginner.

Even less costly is the SX brand, which I've never tried, but they get good reviews on this forum.

I recommend starting with a 4-string.

Here's a Squier:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jazz-bass

Here's an SX:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2alder3ts.html

For strings, he'll definitely want flatwounds for reggae. If you buy the bass new, it will have roundwounds, and will probably have roundwounds even if you buy it used. But flats are the way to go reggae. These would do nicely:
    http://www.bassstringsonline.com/La-Bella-Deep-Talkin-Flat-Wound--4-String-Set_p_219.html

For an amp, he doesn't need much if he's not playing with a band. Something like this will do nicely for practicing alone:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-rumble-15-v2-15w-1x8-bass-combo-amp

For recording, he'll be best off using what's called a DI (direct injection) box. That basically means that instead of putting a mic in front of a speaker to record his bass, he can run his bass directly into the recording device.

This is by far the most popular bass DI:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/tech-21-sansamp-bass-driver-di
    It's a bit pricey, but very good. But on a budget, a DI can be had for as little as $40:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...r-bdi21-vtone-bass-pre--di--amp-modeler-pedal

Trying to find this stuff used will save you some bucks too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bruins29

Bruins29 Supporting Member

How old is your husband?

7. MrsNinaAllen

MrsNinaAllen

He is 36 years old so not a spring chicken lol. But hes a musician and plays the keyboard and sings (song writes/producer) but has a secret dream of learning how to play the bass as its such an integral part of reggae music.

8. MrsNinaAllen

MrsNinaAllen

WOW!! Thank you, thank you, thank YOU!! Exactly what I needed!!! Fantastic!

9. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

10. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: y'know, rhythm AND blues! Supporting Member

Props to Bassist4Eris and the others who've posted. Wow, TB rocks. What a great forum. :bassist:

Nina, that used Squier jazz from the classifieds will save you at least a hundred bucks over retail. No connection to seller. Looks perfect for reggae.

Can I put you in touch with my wife? She's indifferent to bass. You might teach her a thing or two. :D

11. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Very cool idea for your husband. Is it supposed to be a total surprise?

Sounds like he already has a studio and plenty of musical experience, so a couple lessons with a bass instructor will line him out on good technique.

A squire bass would do fine, buying used on TB has been smooth and easy for me. Saves tons of money. But if you need to exchange or upgrade, retail might be better.

If there is no need for an amp at this time, you might pick up a used Zoom B3 effects unit for about $150. http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/b3

It will provide: hundreds of sounds, a headphone practice station, tuner, drum machine and metronome (critical), looper, DI, and it is just tons of fun. It also hooks up to you computer via usb and comes with some recording software.

If he goes to a jam, the Zoom can hook right into a PA or studio sound board.

Ed Friedland's book: http://www.amazon.com/Reggae-Bass-Builders-Friedland-Ed/dp/0793579945/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235602611&sr=1-1 Really, any of Ed's books, but the reggae book will have him playing well known grooves.

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mrs Allen, very nice !! ... I was going to ask if you by chance had a sister that was as nice as you and available .. then you said your age ... maybe, mother?? .. grand mother ?? ... :)

... in all seriousness, is there a pal or buddy locally that can steer you? ... do you guys frequent reggae clubs in your area?? ... since he plays keys, maybe he knows a bass player or two?? ... run by them what you intend to do ... it has actually happened to me a couple times over the years, that I was able to help advise/and even found gear for folk to help out ... much easier if done locally ... and likely will be more accurate to what is available ... JMHO, and good luck, you have a lucky man there, but then I bet he knows it already :)

13. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

strings don't really matter much, IMO. i've been playing Roots for decades with rounds,... it's all in the EQing. :)

14. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Some great advice here as usual.As TJH suggested if you have a buddy who knows something about bass guitars and can keep a secret, he or she would be useful to take along if you plan on buying a bass in person. The Fender basses are usually very good but some play better than others. PACOJAS is right on about the strings. i am sure the bone stock strings that come with the Fender bass will be more than adequate. Your husband is going to freak out when he unwraps a bass!

15. Batmensch

Batmensch

Just one thing I would mention ... In order to make any online searches you might do easier and more productive, the proper spelling of the brand name of the bass is SQUIER, not Squire.

16. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

String types matter greatly to the sound of a bass, but he will learn about that as time goes by. I'm going to add Ibanez SR300 (or higher) to the list having an active 3band EQ, slim neck, and excellent quality for around $350 new.

If you go through GC locally (or most major web stores), and he doesn't like it - you can return it and try something else.

I saw a reggae band at the local fair, and the guy was using an Ibby Soundgear 5er.

17. tjh

tjh Supporting Member