Please help save my back

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Newshabulous, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Newshabulous

Newshabulous

So, I'm in a cover band. My main instrument for the last decade has been guitar. A year ago my buddy asked me to play bass for him. Never thought it was going to be a regular thing... but we're booked out 6 months in advance now.

In an act of desperation, I bought an old Peavey Mark III head and a Peavey cab that holds 1x15 and 2x8. It's old, heavy, and killing me as I typically do the majority of the load in and out since I have the biggest and most reliable car.

I'm looking for good tone at a reasonable price that is light weight. Since bass hasn't been my thing in a while I am very out of touch when it comes to gear. We're a party band playing mainly pop and 90's rock.

Please help
  2. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Not sure what your budget is, but you may want to check out the GK MB combo line.

I have a 1st generation MB212 and it is 37 lbs and 500w. I can carry all my gear in one trip to load/unload for practice. I love the tone i get from my MB212.

Good luck!
  3. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

What's your budget?

That would go a long way in helping us nudge you in the right direction.
  4. abarson

abarson

There are tons of options for bass players now. While Peavey has a great reputation for reliaility and usable tone, it's always at the heavy end of things.

For lightweight amp heads, you've got Genz Benz, Gallien Krueger, Carvin, Markbass, Traynor, Kustom, etc. Tons of threads on TB for all of them. All these manufacturers also offer lightweight cabs.

A Glasstone Lil' G is both light and sounds great, especially for your genre. But again, there are lots to choose from.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Yeah , those 15 16 cabs are really heavy.I have one thats an 18 with 2 tens in it and it stays parked in my basement. With a mark 3 head you should be able to get by with a lot of the 2 12's they are making these days or even one of the older Peavey 2 15 cabs. I have a Peavey 2 15 loaded with 2 scorpions and it sounds pretty good. No trouble keeping up with two guitars and a medium loud drummer. If they ever make me mad , I have a couple 8 10's that I can totally drown them out with lol.:bassist:
  7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    You might want to look at the GK Neo line.
  8. LordRyan

LordRyan

If you like the sound of the gear you have there is another option. I got one of these for moving heavier gear. Handles 250lbs, lightweight, folds flat:

[​IMG]
  9. Newshabulous

Newshabulous

Preferably Im trying to keep the budget under 800 for either both a head and cab or for a combo. I wouldn't mind splitting up the purchase and getting it in pieces. I usually prefer to buy used as well.
  10. Newshabulous

Newshabulous

how much is that and whats it called?
  11. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Just got one of these things for my son for Christmas. It's called a "Folding Hand Truck." I picked it up at home depot for right around $30. The one I got is made by the Milwaulkee Co. I have worked in the trades all my life and Milwaulkee tools have a stellar reputation for durability. The one I got is only rated for 150 pounds and I am not aware of any that are rated higher but I can't say for sure that they don't exist either. Hope this helps.
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The folding hand trucks are great!! I use them at work.

For bass, I will shamelessly recommend, endorse and do a happy dance around my Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 with a 12" (12T) speaker. Genz sold these as a combo but the head can be un-docked from the cab. The head weighs 3.75 pounds and puts out 375W peak into an 8 ohm load. I picked up a Shuttle 2x10 (210T) cab to go with it, and that makes peak power 600W into 4 ohms with both cabs hooked up.

Frankly, it can blow me off the stage...but it also can be played at low and moderate volumes.

HIGHLY recommended on the used market - and at least the Shuttle 6.0 head docked on a 12" cab should be available within your budget. And the total weight of that head and cab are 35 pounds!! A 2x10 adds another 32 pounds.

[​IMG]
  13. ack

ack Supporting Member

I just got rid of my Peavey Mark VIII/ProBass500/TVX210/BX115 rig because it got to be a bear to load.
    After some searching, I ended up with a Markbass 210 combo w/ 210 cab to replace them. I think they weigh about 40 lbs each, are real easy to carry, and they sound great. I also like the way they sort of lock into each other if you stack them vertically.
    I really like the Markbass rig, but they're a pricey replacement for the Peavey.
    [​IMG]

There are lots of options in the neo/lightweight arena - it all depends on your budget. I sold a few basses to get this done. Best of luck.
  14. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

New Aguilar TH350 $500 (you regularly see used TH500's for this price too)
    Good used Bag End S15-D 1x15 cab $200
    Total weight with all cables in about 50lbs

I'd totally planned for this stuff just to be portable backup/rehearsal gear but it's quickly turned into what I'm using all the time everywhere.
  15. DogBone

DogBone

We're in the golden age concerning bass amps.

You really can't go wrong with any of the suggestions, if you want a lightweight head and cab there's plenty of options. Generally, vertical 210s and some sort of pocket size class D amplifier seems to be the current state of the art.

Thinking outside the box though, what kind of PA are you using? If you already have a decent PA you may not even need a bass amp.

Ultimately one of the excellent pedals/DIs running direct would be the best back saver of all.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/characterseries.html

http://www.adesignsaudio.com/reddi-all-tube-direct-box.htm

My Blues band isn't quite there, but we're close. Our drummer switched to an excellent Roland electric kit, and even my smallish (but stout) Ampeg BA210 combo is practically overkill. Our stage volume has really dropped off, and venues love our current sound/volume levels.

Ah, decisions decisions....Good luck! :)
  16. deathsdj

deathsdj

Get the cart. Micro rigs can't do what my rig does.
  17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

You don't need micro to go light. My rack setup is about 20 pounds and 3000W.
  18. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Save your back. Trust me. All it takes is one tweak. I don't know how old you are but I am certain that used Shuttle or any one of the other lightweight heads out and two 112 stacked vertically will more than do the trick. I have a single 15/6 that weighs in at 42 lbs.. and two 112s that are 21 lbs each.. with my ShuttleMax or SL 900 I can do just about any gig I would encounter.
  19. lava4485

lava4485

I am not the most experienced of all bass-players but, wouldn't buying a DI and going straight to PA be a better option (in live conditions)

AMPEG Porta-flex comes to mind....... or any other PRO-AMPEG's with Neo-Cabs or the Hartke Hy-drive Cabs be a much better option! :)
  20. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Check the Genz Benz blowouts.
  21. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I have been through several brands of the smaller class D amps in the last few years. My favorite and current rig consists of a Markbass Little Mark III head and a pair of GK Neo 112 cabinets. It is a great combination of tone and portability! I can walk in to a gig with one cabinet in each hand and the head in a bag over my shoulder, all in one trip.