1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Please help to figure out how to achieve this tone

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by AndrewTaran, Dec 2, 2013.

1. AndrewTaran

AndrewTaran

2. WayneP

WayneP

3. oboylebass

oboylebass

So much of that tone is coming from the player's attack and right-hand consistency...also, there's virtually NO (left hand) fret noise. I wonder where the tone knob on the bass is set. Guy's got great technique. Really, it's all in the hands.

4. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Direct sound, I assume, not from the Ampeg behind him. However, this is the classic P bass sound of the '50s and '60s. Most likely flats, probably old flats. On a P bass, with the right strings, having the tone control dimed actually gives a very round, full, punchy sound just like this, both direct and through an amp. I ran my '59 P with heavy LaBella flats through an old Bassman 50 watt head driving two JBL D140s for years back in the '60s, and this was the live sound I got through that amp. Never used compression, never went direct. The most valuable piece of advice I ever received about EQ from a vet player was to turn the treble knob on my Bassman to 10 and run the bass knob on about 4.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AndrewTaran

AndrewTaran

Thanx everyone! I just fell in love with this bass tone, so I tried flats for the first time in my life and I'm in love!

7. zxcvbs

zxcvbs

I tried to listen to it, and i cant hear anything, is the bass too back in the mix?

8. WayneP

WayneP

9. MascisMan

MascisMan

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

that sounds a little too fast and "bendy" to be flats, so i'm thinking regular rounds, just with really nice compression, EQ, and touch.

11. zxcvbs

zxcvbs

Yes, i can hear it now, the machine where i work, is having some problem.
    It reminds me of Tony Levin, with Peter Gabriel.

12. Matthijs

Matthijs

I'm also not hearing flats. And I also did not hear 50/60 's sound but thought of the 80's. But that could be psychoacoustics induced by new wavy hairstyles.

13. Matthijs

Matthijs

Maybe I'm not alone in linking this sound to the 80's. Can't remember any flats in the 80's

14. Dr3thepooner

Dr3thepooner

P-Bass with tone rolled off + Ampeg head / cab lows and low mids slightly boosted. Done.

15. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

he's playing a p bass...

so.. theres that. weather its rounds or flats doesn't matter, i doubt its fresh rounds with the tone knob all the way open though.

a haircut like the lead singers will likely help.

maple fingerboard?

idk.

just get any good p-bass and you'll be in the ballpark i think.

16. thebates

thebates

This is the elusive live growl sound I seek but can never get in a live situation. This has prompted me to seek out tasty quieter bands recently. I'm a stickler for sound quality and bass is one of the toughest challenges there is to get right on stage. I have been dealing with it by placing my cabinet up on a wooden stool to get that clear and instant feedback that I need. Of course this sounds different out on the dance floor as the bass sound develops. I find I'm becoming more appreciative of a semi unplugged performance where all is in balance and everyone can be heard.