Please help with GK MB115: taking the grill off...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Audix99, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Audix99

Audix99

Hi all.

I have to say I like everything about this GK MB115 amp EXCEPT one thing.
    The metal grill makes rattling noise even at a moderate volume.

I thought of putting some padding around the grill and tried to take the grill off.
    However, even after taking those 4 screws holding the grill (2 screws on each side), the grill didn't even budge when I tried to pull it out.

So, I am wondering if there are any screws/tabs that I've missed.
    I could only see the 4 screws, but any chance there were more that I missed? :help:

If you can provide me with help/instruction on how to remove the grill on GK MB115, I will really appreciate.
    Thanks~!!!
  2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

You sure there are no more screws on the top or bottom?

I had the 210 combo and I got the grill off it without much trouble. Although there was some variation as to where the screws were compared to older versions of the same amp. Older ones had screws kind of in the grill. Mine had them on the outer side of the cab.

Could be that you just have to give 'er a yank. But be careful.
  3. miiitch

miiitch

on my 115 mbx cab, there are exactly 4 screws, like you described
    maybe put the screws back in a bit, and try putting some light pressure on them, because the grill mounts (damn, i wanna be a native -.-) are stuck?

i cut out some foam and cardboard material, then taped them here:
    http://i43.tinypic.com/16h51zp.jpg
    http://i41.tinypic.com/2dm70o.jpg

noise gone
  4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Clever. I guess in your case you had some buzzing coming from the badges screwed onto the front of the grill rather than from where the grill mounts to the cab.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. miiitch

miiitch

correct
    the grill´s moving about as much as the speaker cone is able to ..
    that caused the badges to knock against it

i think it´s hardly possible to get noises from the mounting points, especially when the grill is obviously stuck :D
  7. lowendrv

lowendrv

Are you talking about a GK MB115 combo ? I just looked at a picture of one and it looks like that there are 5 screws holding it on 2 on each side and one at the bottom. I can't tell from the picture but there might be one behind the badge at the top too.
  8. Audix99

Audix99

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your help/input about my problem!!! ;)

I doubled checked, and there were just 4 screws.
    Nothing on the top, nor on the bottom.

So after hearing from you all, I was able to very carefully pry it out from the bottom corner and finally got it out!

Thanks again guys!!!

I hear you, miiitch.
    Still, even though the grill got stuck, some parts of the outer edge of the grill was making contacts with the cab and was rattling.

Also, there was little rattling noise from the GK badge.
    So I will also put some padding behind the badge the way you did.

Again, thanks guys!!! :D
  9. Audix99

Audix99

An update.

Just put padding around the grill and behind the GK badge.
    Put the grill back, and now NO RATTLING at all!!! :hyper:
    Even at "very" loud volume, no rattling from the amp!

Thanks again for your help guys!!! :D
  10. miiitch

miiitch

great to hear :)
  11. ferrum

ferrum

I'm going to resurrect this thread...

I actually have a GK MB 112 with the exact same issue. Pulled off the grill and tested, got no rattle. Now I just need to put padding in, and was wondering...what did you use to pad around the grill and behind the badge? How exactly did you install it?
  12. Audix99

Audix99

Being resurrected after a year feels good~! :hyper:

I had a really thin form piece laying around in the house.
    I don't exactly remember, but it might have come from the packing of something I had bought.
    It was basically a thin sheet made of form.

I cut it in proper length and width and pushed them into the gap between edge of the grill and wooden panel by using the dull side (Not the sharp edge) of an exacto knife (and credit card for wider gaps).
    Also folded up the form sheet several times and placed it underneath the badge and screwed it back.

Hope this helps.
  13. ferrum

ferrum

Thanks for the info! Your original post inspired me that it could be done with the right material.

I actually ended up fixing it up a couple days ago. Used felt tape, which someone in another thread suggested. Pulled the grill out, wrapped the grill in tape, and stuck the grill back in. Didn't do the logo (upon close inspection, it had a type of padding). Worked like a charm. Now the only buzz is from other things rattling in my house...
  14. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

I just got done giving my MB115 grill a black paint job (looks much better IMO, and now you can see the speakers, as the silver reflected too much light).

I think the badge is the biggest contributor to buzz...the grill will rattle against the outside edges of the badge if you tap on it. The foam/felt fix takes care of it.

The funniest thing was how much that badge weighs...5 oz. It's a really nice piece of steel that costs $17.00 (!) from GK. The aluminum grill is only 19 oz...pretty bad ratio there. :) It's interesting because it seems a big goal with the MB combo's was the cost-to-weight ratio. If they went with a plastic badge (which would have looked fine), the price AND weight would have gone down.

There was a lot of talk about the lack of damping material being a cost saving issue. A $5.00 plastic badge would have left more than enough $$ to line the cab, and it still probably would have weighed less. ;)

Anyway, it is a great sounding cab, and even with the badge, mine only weighs 33.5 lbs...impressive.
  15. ferrum

ferrum

It looks like GK agreed with you. All of their updated MBs have black grills (cloth this time).