Please read and vote - regarding Amazon threads...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 13, 2014.

The Amazon deals thread...

1. Should remain as is. DEAL POSTS ONLY!

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Should be open to discussing those deals, also.

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Let me start right out by stating that I'm not out to make enemies. Just looking to see how others here feel in hopes of either making a change for the better, or simply accepting what is and letting it go.

Many of us subscribe to the Amazon deals thread. If you haven't, you should. As it is now however, we are told to post nothing but deals, and if we post any sort of comment or question, it's immediately removed and we're reprimanded with a PM. It used to be open to discussion, and there are many here aside from myself who I know feel it was much better that way. It is also my contention that there are only 3 or 4 people who want it as it is now, but those people are incredibly adament about keeping it that way, so it isn't challenged.

I'd like to bring it up for discussion.

Reasons I think the old way is better:
    • There may be better deals than the ones people posted.
    • It would save time if we could tell each other the deal is over, and price is back up.
    • We could quickly and easily ask questions about the item on sale.
    • We could warn others if the sale item is a peice of crap.
    • It's helpful to hear others experiences with the items they got.
    • If something gets out of control, like it did with those 12" speakers, then it can quickly and easily be rerouted to another thread. First person who gets annoyed can start it, and easily link to it.
    • People can share helpful hints regarding ordering, or purchasing the sale items elsewhere.
    There are more reasons, but I want to keep this somewhat brief.

The only reasons I know of that the thread is as it is, is because a few people are subscribed with email notification, and they're bothered when they go to the thread and find it's not a deal.

The scales, IMO, are tipped way in the direction of the former. But that's just my opinion. Would like to hear yours. And now a short story regarding this which you can ignore if you feel you've read enough already.

Jamhub was on sale from $299, to $149. I missed it by a matter of a few hours. Was bummed bigtime. Enough to start the the other Amazon thread, where we could discuss things in the first thread.

Because I told my story there, I received PMs from 2 very nice fellow TBers who led me elswhere to get the same price. It was an awesome deal, one that music123 and musiciansfriend didn't even come close to matching. Best they would do was $269, even though I sent a clear link to the other price. I only did that because I had issues trying to order it 2 days ago, but for some reason, today my order went through w/ no problem. I got my jamhub for $149. If we could discuss things in the other thread, it would have been much easier, and others could have gotten in on it too, if they chose to.

That's all.

2. nogoodwithnames

nogoodwithnames

My vote is for open to discussion.

3. froghat

froghat Supporting Member

I think relevant comments should be allowed and encouraged. Those that don't contribute information (e.g. "I bought one!"), not so much.

4. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

I am partial to open discussion. I appreciate feedback regarding the deal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    I think you're misunderstanding two points.
    1. There's lots more than a couple people who want deal posts only. They send post reports when non-deal posts show up- you don't see them, but we do.
    2. It's not your thread. Why would you try to argue that someone can't keep a thread to their subject of choice? It's not like you can't discuss and post links to Amazon deals in a different thread. You're out nothing and can do exactly what you want in your own thread, but want to inconvenience the folks that want it kept deal-only?

We don't allow voting to change others' threads. We have the same universal rule with all threads in all forums here- if you don't like a particular thread, move along to another one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.