Please recommend a combo amp 40 lbs or less

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Figaro, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Figaro

Figaro

I have a bad back and need a combo amp 40 lbs or less. What's the best bang for my buck new or used? I play blues and a little classic rock in medium to smaller clubs. Thanks!

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

All of the GK MB combo's are under 40lbs (expect the 212 at 41lbs, and the 410 at 51lbs) - look for a used one.

3. Noonan

Noonan Supporting Member

I like my GK MB 212. 500 watts, 38 pounds.

4. pica

pica

Ampeg BA-112 39lbs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DogBone

DogBone

Beat me to it, exactly what I was going to suggest.

I tried out several of the Ampeg BA series last week in the city while traveling on business, simply fell in love with the tone of the little BA112.

I liked it a lot better than the more powerful 115, the 112 just frikin' sang and had that Ampeg tone and hint of grit and was just a pleasure to play. I'd put it real close to the fabulous "Rocket" combos, yeah I liked it that much.

Honestly I kept thinking about it so much since last week I finally broke down and ordered myself one just today. :bassist:

My regular amp is an Ampeg BA210 that I use in my Blues/Rock band. Although I love that amp and it's got a fantastic Ampeg tone, it's pretty heavy and I rarely if ever get to turn it up past 2.

So yeah I'm looking forward to putting my little BA112 to work, and I'd encourage anyone to take one for a spin, you may be impressed.

7. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

You might check out recent 'recommend a combo' threads. I just did one (Small Combo Recommendations) in which I was interested in compact, light weight combos with a less baked in tone, and that packed a lot of capability in a small package, for use in small venues.

If your band is really loud you are going to need either a 212 combo or a 115 with an extension cab (maybe powered). The GK, and Carvin combos are built with light weight cabinets. The GK extension cabs are powered, giving a substantial boost in capability.

Then there are some premium priced 'super' combos like the AER Amp One and the PJB Super Flight Case. These are in a whole different budget class. If you have $1200 to $2000 to spend check these out.

Ultimately, I decided I was ahead to use a micro head with a compact cab like a decent 112. Two pieces instead on one, but better portability (form factor and lighter weight) and more capability. Also more money (although if you buy usedÂ…).

Much depends on your budget. If your band is of only average loudness and you play medium and small venues something like a GK MB115 or Carvin MB15 could meet your needs. Both can be expanded with an additional cab of similar size and weight.

Good luck.

8. Figaro

Figaro

But the Ampeg BA112 is only 50 watts?

I've been considering the GK MB112-II, GK MB115-II, used MB212, or a used Markbass Mini CMD121P to keep it in my price range.

9. pica

pica

I've been considering the Peavey Max112. 200W at 40lbs. Nice sounding amp. It's only $249.

10. MFreePbass

MFreePbass

Has anyone tried the new Traynor Smallblock bass amps. They are 200w with either a 10", 12" or 15" speaker. I tried one at a local store and though I couldn't crank it I liked it and was saying "this is the sound I have been looking for". Well for $500 it should be. I tried the 1x15 and it was very lite.

11. MakoMan

MakoMan

I bought the Smallblock 115 back in November. Absolutely love the amp and it is as light as a feather. Fantastic amp!

12. MakoMan

MakoMan

The new Fender Rumbles are on the way and offer a lot of bang for the weight and price. Might be well worth waiting for.

13. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

yup

14. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I thought these were great amps as well! They're priced to compete with the GK lines but give a more meat and potatoes old school type sound as opposed to the goosed GK growl. Light weight and great tone. Most impressive.

I'd also recommend the op preview the Markbass MINI CMD 151P. Markbass may have lost it's popularity here on Talkbass but those combos are sooo small and light and can provide real gig worthy sound.

15. ProdigalBassman

ProdigalBassman

You sound like me! I have a TC Electronics BG250: 250W into its one 15"; 35lb. They've just added other models with different speaker choices. I had a GK MB210 (350W into two 10"; 500W w/ an extension cab) which is also light, but if you don't like the GK tone (prominent mids) you can't EQ it out to get an old-school sound. Also, it wasn't as loud as my BG250 in a side by side.

I also did a side by side against a half stack (Ibanez head put 350W into its 8 ohm 410 cab) which was a hair louder, a touch fuller, twice as expensive and twice the weight of the BG250.

Fender just launched an interesting Rumble 500 combo: under 40lb; 350W into its two 10". Should you need more oomph, add a light weight 8 ohm ext cab to get 500W output.

Have fun shopping!

16. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS Gold Supporting Member

I'll also vouch for the Traynor SB115. I also have a Traynor 800 watt head with 1x15 and 2x10 cabs (also the all-tube Traynor YBA200-2) but have been favouring the 200 watt, 31 pound, SB115 in larger clubs where I'm going through a PA. My band plays at a ridiculous stage volume, but I have no issues hearing myself with the gain at 9 o'clock and master at noon. Very deep tone that still cuts through a dense mix. I keep the bass and treble flat and boost the lo and hi mids slightly. Great for small clubs without PA support. It's delivering all the volume I require.

Obviously it's the one pictured on the left!

I used to own a GK115MB (older version) but prefer the Traynor - warmer, and can really be pushed without fear of blowing it up.

Good review is found here: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19853-traynor-sb115-review

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1394077947.733117.jpg

17. Rosebud

Rosebud Previously sbassface Supporting Member

yeah dude, don't get an Ampeg Ba-112 for what you want, I've had one, not going to cut it for medium venues IMO.

18. hsech

hsech Ain't no blues like old blues. Gold Supporting Member

Markbass Cmd112p combo. 29 lbs, 300 watts. Add a second speaker and it becomes 500 watts. I gig with one all the time.

19. phoenixjmw

phoenixjmw

For what its worth I just picked up a GK MB115. Love this amp! Everyone who heard it loves it too. Tons of power and very light.

You mentioned a non baked in tone... From what I have seen so far you can get a lot of tones out of the GK vs an Ampeg seems to be what it is. I have not done it but seems popular to use a pre amp with a GK too for more tone options.

20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

The GK MB115-II is a great amp, and it has enough power/volume for small and medium size club/bars - and its under 40lbs too.

21. kenneffdupriest

kenneffdupriest Supporting Member

+1

You can twist this amp past noon and get a killer sound. Then walk out with it in one hand. Very large/tunable sound with the VLE & VPF filters in a tiny package. Its a good combo. I have played very few places (Uptown, Beaumont & Voodoo) in KC that needed more than this combo. If so, I put the 210 traveller vertical on top and aim it a lil toward the drummer..

worx grate. Nice n lite.

and it will cure your asthma too.....