Please suggest an OD pedal....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Eatapeach1965, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

I know this is a very subjective request,and I was hesitant to even ask,as I'm sure it's been beaten to death,but I didn't really see it...

I have played guitar for awhile and have tried LOTS of OD's,but don't know how they would translate for bass.

All I want is a simple OD...for a little edge on up to an AC/DC grit,as that would be the heaviest I'd need.

I have a P Bass,into a GB Contour 500 15" speaker.. I play blues to classic rock.

One trick ponies,are welcome... A bass TS9?

2. Jensby design

Jensby design

Get a breadboard and a whole bunch of components :rolleyes: look up some schematics you'll figure something out. ;)

3. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

not a big fan of the TS9 at all

If you like the Tube Screamer vibe check out the Vodoo Lab Sparkle drive (designed for guitar but has a clean blend...works well for bass)

that said

Catalinbread SFT (I love this one)
    Black Sheep effects Outlaw OD
    Pigtronix Bass Fat Drive
    Joyo Ultimate OD (sounds great and is cheap)
    Fulltone OCD
    MXR M-89 Bass Overdrive
    Hao Rust Ride
    EBS Multidrive
    Darkglass Microtubes B3k (Gets a lot of love around here)
    Amptweaker Tight Drive
    Digitech Bad Monkey
    Boss ODB-3

all good places to start

4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

No such thing as a simple OD for bass :p

I would start with a Joyo Ultimate Drive, or Hardwire CM-2 if you want something more "tubey".

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Montanamike

Montanamike Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Atkinson Music, Inc.
    Another good OD pedal for bass is the Dark Glass VMT and the Creation Labs Holy Fire. During in a bit of grit is easy and the signal remind fat.

7. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

I have tried many of those for guitar....Definitely be curious how they'd sound for bass.

Loved the OCD..will give that a try along with the Joyo..

The Joyo brand is new to me,have heard good things on this forum about them. I Will try one

8. Insouciance

Insouciance

Loud Button's Balls Deep. It is like a Tube Screamer on steroids. Juan just featured it in the Drive Wars over at Pedals and Effects.

It cleans up nicely, but also distorts quite nicely when you crank the gain knob.

9. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

TS9: Cusack Screamer Bass or Screamer Fuzz Bass.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Joyo is a hot little pedal for $30 or so. It could use a little less high mid for my tastes, but it's not overbearing with the high mids by any means, and it'll do anything from clean boost to raging distortion, though not quite fuzz.

11. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    The cm2 is an absolute winner. Just as you want- acdc type grit/ gravel :)

12. cnltb

cnltb

For a little while I've been using the musiciansounddesign silverstone and like it very much.
    No low loss at all and very high builtquality! :)
    http://www.silvermachine.de/

13. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Ashdown's James Lomenzo Hyperdrive allows you to dial in a slight edge of grit to your sound. There is a video on Youtube where James sets up the pedal as he likes it, and the first tone he gets is still really articulate but has a bit of 'hair' on it.

Hartke's Bass Attack pedal is also pretty good for this. I'm slowly being converted to mine, which I've had a year and considered a paperweight for most of that time. It really enjoys scooping mid frequencies, so the clean/dirty mix is your friend. You can add a nice 'SVT' edge to your sound, just beware the 'brite' knob!

The simplest solution is to clone a DOD 250 or MXR Distortion + circuit and increase the input and output caps. At low gain settings it will add a bit of hair without getting too wild.

14. phatbass

phatbass

Just to add to the confusion...

My current fave is the Xotic BB. My needs are that I DON'T want World-War-3 in a box - I usually want just an absolute minimum of "hair" on the signal, and the BB lets me go all the way down to zero drive, up to more than enough. Also with tone controls and enough grunt to drive power amp if I want.

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Hardwire CM-2 (Tube Overdrive)

Impossible to beat for the money, goes used for about $50. Destroys any 'under $100' pedal mentioned here...and a bunch of 'over $100' pedals as well.

Keep in mind it's not only the sound you want to get, you want build quality, top notch components, and headroom as well.

16. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

These appear to be the step up from the Bad Monkey. Do they need any mods to retain the low end?

17. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

No mods needed. It can even add low end. I like to call this pedal a Bad Monkey, but without all the stuff that make the Bad Monkey cheap, tone robbing pedal :)

18. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

I would also check out the Way Huge Green Rhino or Pork Loin. Both great ODs. Both easily found at GC. Both right around 100 bucks.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used to have one (think it got stolen by a visiting relative, though, as I can't find it along with a couple other things), and while I wouldn't call it an SVT edge, combining the clean and dirty through the blend knob does take care of the mid scoop and doesn't seem to dull the intensity of the distortion if you set the blend properly. Might have to pick up another one in the near future, but I'm pretty good for distortion pedals at the moment.

20. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

I'm not going to argue Ampegs with you. :D :D :D

21. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I was gonna say Ultimate Drive! It was actually designed for guitar, but is spectacular on bass as well. It's a very good, very cheap clone of the Fulltone OCD, but with better low end retention. Got mine for $30 on Amazon. Couldn't pass it up!