1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pls compair the new Squier vm 70's jazz to the old one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Strat Hater, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Can anyone compair the two. Especially the new fendef designed pups to the sd designed ones and the mldern c neck profile compaired to what was used before.

To be honest i am kinda hoping for a poor mans geddy here
  2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

I've owned both. Although either would be considered "cheap" basses, the newer one felt cheaper. The main thing I noticed was the quality of the neck materials and the SD pickups I thought were better. The older VM's were a deal, the new ones go along with the old saying "you get what you pay for".
  3. awilkie84

awilkie84

I respectfully disagree. The necks are identical, save for a finish change that standardized VM production.

To me, the Fender designed pickups sound better than the Duncan Designed (Which are NOT true Seymour Duncan pick-ups).

They're on par with each other & I'd easily buy both.
  4. Low Class

I presently own a 2007 natural maple/ maple and a 2010 sunburst basswood/rosewood. I bought 2 VM's last month for my church from Musicians Friend because the had them on sale. At the time I wasn't even aware of the changes they had made. When they arrived I could believe how different they played and sounded than they ones I had. I played them for a week thinking I would get used to them, but I never did because they were inferior to my older VM's. Sent em back!! They were definitely different, guess it depends on who thinks what is better.
  5. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

6. awilkie84

awilkie84

Your 2007 and 2010 Vintage modified are different basses. The OP's referring to the changes made to the 2013 VM lineup, specifically the Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass.

THIS bass: http://www.fender.com/en-CA/squier/...azz-bass-70s-maple-fingerboard-olympic-white/

Not the Sunburst one: http://www.fender.com/en-CA/squier/...z-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

The sunburst is not a 70's Jazz bass model.
  7. chilliwilli

chilliwilli Supporting Member

The new ones are worse thanks to the classic vibe series.
  8. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

How do you figure that?
  9. wvbass

wvbass

"Please compare"

Here endeth the lesson.
  10. awilkie84

awilkie84

My thoughts exactly. The VM is a series of its own. It's not a CV and nothing with the VM changed with the launch of the CV (which pretty much came around the same time).
  11. Low Class

I realize that. I've owned and played both new and old!!
  12. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I used to own the 2009 one I believe. Same as the 2007.

I traded it in for a Fender Jazz because I found it lost a lot of output on the SD pickups for some reason. I don't want to repeat this with the new Fender Designed pups. Also I noticed that lots of the VM's have a heavier plastic like finish on the necks that I don't really care for. Are the new ones like this or not?

I also noticed that they now call the neck profile a Slim Modern C I believe. Is this the same profile as the Geddy Lee?

I am not about to order one and wait for a month to discover it is not what I wanted, so that's why I asked what I thought was a simple question. So far 11 posts and not one useable answer!

This seems like a lot of hassle to just get a big block maple neck lol
  13. awilkie84

awilkie84

The Fender designed pickups have a good output, for a passive bass. Similar to the MIM or MIA for output level. The tone quality is great, too.

Some are still satin finish, but the new ones doe have a gloss. It's thin, though. Even the vintage tint ones that look thick are thin. The gloss is nothing that 000 steel wool can't fix, though. It's what I use on my gloss necks to make them faster.

The profile definitely isn't a Geddy. It's a little slimmer. Quite comfortable, and I don't normally like Jazz neck profiles.

Most Fender dealers have 1 or 2 in stock that you could try out. There's got to be one in your area.
  14. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Only if I order one in. However they do have the VM fretless P bass and that's all I have to judge by. I might be taking a trip to Calgary later in the week and can see if I can find one there.
  15. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

I played a new one today at the local GC. I went in to check out a used GK MB210 and went through at least half a dozen basses to find one that was actually playable. :rollno: Anyway, wound up picking up the VM and was stunned. Comfy weight, neck felt good, the output was surprisingly good, and the tone was very nice. Both fingerstyle and slap translated well on the bass.

I didn't buy the GK amp, but I'm seriously considering going back and picking up the VM. I've played a few of the older models and had no complaints with them. This one really grabbed my attention though. I'm assuming it must be one of the new models since it wasn't beat to death and the strings seemed to have plenty of life left in them. A rare thing in a GC store!