Plugging into a PA

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by MothBox, Feb 4, 2014.

1. MothBox

MothBox

I'm in an acoustic band (normal electric bass) doing a small gig where we're not meant to be filling the whole bar with sound. As such bands usually plug into the PA or bring their own kit.

Unfortunately I don't have a big amp so am looking at plugging my Line6 combo into the xlr. The other band members reckon this will allow for a much better sound all-around and my combo would become my monitor.

I'm a bit nervous about setting up like this but agree that renting a 4x4 and amp would dominate the sound near to the band and give nothing toward the back of the bar.

Has anyone setup like this before? Any suggestions?
  2. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Its easy plug into the PA from your line out turn the slider to your channel on the board down.Set treble mids and bass all to the 12 oclock the position.At the top of your board channel should be the pre gain dial turn all the way back to 7 oclock.Start picking or plucking your open E as hard as you will ever play it slowly turn up that pre gain dial until you see the red light flashing once it does turn back the dial a bit til it stops flashing red.Now slowly bring up your channel slider til you feel a tiny bit more fullness in the room.From there go out front and tweak your sound. If you want more details PM me i will be glad to get you started its very easy no worries.
  3. MothBox

MothBox

Thanks a lot! I'm used to playing in an all electric band with amps and this is the first time in a more acoustic situation. Using a tiny practice amp (line6 lowdown 110) for a gig is a little alien to me.

Seems like a pretty easy setup. The other guys plug into the PA direct from their acoustics so the only difference from my end is the combo. Fingers crossed this works then!
  4. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

I run the PA in my band i line out every gig nice quiet stage volume fill the room through the Pa.Usually i only need to roll the treble back to 9 oclock on the board channel with no other adjustments.It depends on what bass you use i play a Fender Jazz or Musicman Stingray.Good Luck
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dls119

dls119

I'm in the same situation - my band consists of an acoustic guitar, banjo, and drummer. I almost always go DI into the PA and use my amp for stage monitoring. I've gotten away with using my Ampeg BA108 via DI, so don't worry about using a small combo.
  7. MothBox

MothBox

Good stuff! Doesnt sound like im in uncharted territory like i thought. Fingers crossed this works out.
  8. DogBone

DogBone

It'll be fine!

My Blues band has a decent PA, so my little combo is more than adequate for our gigs, even the big ones. I run through the PA 100 percent of the time and only turn my amp up to 2 or 3, just enough for me and my drummer to get the goods, the rest of the band has monitors.

Some of our regular "big events" like festivals and such have huge (to me anyway, it's all relative) soundsystems and my little combo is then just a glorified DI.

So relax, enjoy your gig, you're doing it right. ;)
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I wouldn't plug bass into a small venue PA unless it is designed for it. I would take a rig and turn up to where it was loud enough.
  10. MothBox

MothBox

The issue with that is that as the guitars are through the PA their sound is evenly distributed throughout, the bass would be present at the stage and drop off elsewhere in the room, or be too loud at the stage in order to reach the back.

Not normally a problem for me as I'm used to playing gigs with everyone plugged into amps and only the mics into the PA.

For an even distribution of sound throughout, probably at low levels as its an acoustic set early evening it will (or so the bar manager convinced me) be okay.