Plush Amp Impedance Qusetion

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by GaryLC, Dec 10, 2012.

1. GaryLC

GaryLC Supporting Member

I just picked up a Plush 1060 Tube Head, 4-6L6's. There are two speaker output jacks, does anyone know what the nominal impedance requirement for the head is? I can't find any info on it, I'm assuming 8 ohms.
    Any input will be helpful, thanks!!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Is there no impedance selector switch? Tube amps normally have taps for certain loads only. SVT is 2 or 4 ohms. Some amps are 2/4/8 ohms, but you select the correct impedance to match the cab.

3. GaryLC

GaryLC Supporting Member

No, that's my concern. There is no marking, no switch....I realize that it's got to be matched to the cabinet, but I can find nothing regarding impedance on this!

4. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

I have one. Cool amps! Those sturdy Northlake transformers are happiest at 8 ohms, but I don't think you'll harm them running at 4 or 16. They are similar to the old Schumachers used by Fender - they handle a range of impedances.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GaryLC

GaryLC Supporting Member

Thanks, Kurtz!!

7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    It might use the switching jack method of accessing transformer taps like my bassman135 does. Are the speaker outs labeled anything like main and ext. or spkr 1 and spkr 2. Or does a single cab play in either jack?

If that's not it, I'd just follow Primakurtz advice as he is familiar with the transformer and just use 1 or 2 eight ohm cabs, or 1 four ohm.

8. GaryLC

GaryLC Supporting Member

Will, the speaker jacks are labeled "Main Speaker" & "Extension Speaker". I'll plan on using 8 ohm cabs with it!

9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The Main spkr would access one transformer tap, and plugging something in the Ext. switches to another tap.

On my Bassman, the Main is on the 4ohm tap, and plugging another speaker in the Ext. switches the speaker outs to series and connects them to an 8ohm tap.

I don't know if the impedances are the same on your Plush, they could be 8 and 16, or 8 and 4 or something, but it shoukd work in some similair fashion with the jack wiring sort of "automatically selecting" the proper tap, at least as long as you're using the correct impedance speakers.

10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Being a new to you old tube amp a trip to the tech wouldn't be a waste.

11. GaryLC

GaryLC Supporting Member

I was planning on taking it to my tech for a grounded AC cord & general tune-up....

12. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Take a look inside at the speaker jacks. Transformer taps have varying colors. If you see one color going to the jacks and the jacks in parallel, then both jacks run off one tap. If there are two colors coming from the transformer to the jacks (not including the ground wire) then it uses two taps.

In amps where the jacks switch to a different tap when an ext is plugged in, one of the two jacks is usually isolated from the chassis, with insulating washers.

Taps from the transformer are color coded and the colors are pretty standard. Green 8 ohms, green/yellow 4 ohms, white 2 ohms, black ground, etc. Yellow 16 ohms. These are some from current Fenders. If only one tap is available, it is usually Green on Fenders. It could be different for different manufacturers.

13. pgk

pgk

it's a 4ohm head, i used to own one. it's a fender dual showman clone in better clothing