POG2, yea or nea?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FBGT, Dec 7, 2013.

1. FBGT

FBGT

I've been slowly building my pedalboard over the last year, and one of my final checkboxes is an octave pedal. By and large I am fairly uninterested in most bass octave pedals because they only have octaves below your tone, which just ends up getting muddy on any of the lower strings (frankly, I'm baffled why bass octave pedals don't go up an octave, but I digress). Anyway, I became interested in the POG2 because if its ability to go up or down, so no need to change your hand position. The other effects such as the attack and detune are nice too and the multiple presets offer many different options for octave tones. On the downside, the few times I have been able to testplay the POG2, I did notice its tinny, digital sound. Definitely not a dealbreaker, but not a plus either. I also have no idea how it works with other effects, namely distortion.

To any of you who have the POG2, what do you think of it? It's an expensive pedal, and I have been hesitant to get one unless I am sure I will love it.
  2. Sir Sly Ry

Sir Sly Ry

I had one but sent it back for a refund. You can get some a crazy sound out of it, like a giant cathedral organ in space, which I loved, but had limited use for. The attack delay was a really nice feature though, wish I still had that. But it also seemed to have some big volume boosts.

And yeah, it's a digital pedal, no surprise it sounds really digital.

Probably not a good choice for my first pedal.

But that's just my experience with it. Others love it. It did give me the idea to look for a chorus pedal though, which I did, and found one I liked.
  3. beggar98

beggar98 Supporting Member

IMO, the POG2 is the best octave pedal made. Superior tracking, lots of octaves to choose from, some good and useful additional controls... I get that some people don't love the tone, but I don't have any issues there. The only real drawback is price, but they've been around and popular for awhile, so there are always some available used.
  4. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

If you're just looking for the octave up, you could go for a Micro POG. Smaller, cheaper, simpler.

As far as the tinny/digital sound on the up octave, a barely perceptible amount of drive afterwards can smooth it right out. That said, the digital sound is easier to mitigate with some basses than others.
  5. Schimmy

Schimmy

I would settle down easily with a Micro Pog. I don't need 2 octaves up or 2 octaves down.

Like said before, great tool, lots of crazy sounds - organ sounds on space is a great definition.

But is somehow messy to use, sometimes i just need a simple thing, octave down, boom. Hard to get in that pile of presets, which i can hardly remember where i put my favs. I personally love pedals with 2, 3 knobs max. I have the POG2 for 6 months - and being a colorblind person - i have absolutely no friggin idea of what the DryFx lights stands for. It changes in brightness a bit, but i always have to have the manual next to me to look for the sequence, to know what is bypassed. I think that sucks huge time. If you are not colorblind, shouldn't get on your nerves.

Either way, i'd say it is a YEA. Tried EBS, kinda liked it. Tried Aguilar, kinda liked it. Tried POG2, really dug it.

My 2 cents.
  6. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Schimmy. If you want to sell yours, let me know I'm looking for one!
  7. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

The idea w/ analog octavers is you play an octave up, up high on the E, A, and D strings, to get a different tone in the same frequency space of the normal bass line.

That said, I like the idea of octave up for getting a lot higher than the bass normally gets, and digital for superior tracking, including polyphonic tracking.