Pointless thread #47313 - As American as what now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Milk, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Milk

Milk

I never got the "american as apple pie" thing (was mentioned in a thread today so thats why i'm starting this now instead of derailing a thread but its been bugging me for a long time).

Cause apple pies didn't exist before america? Pretty much every european (and probably beyond) country that ever had a climate to grow apples in has apple pie or a variation of it. The English of course, but the dutch, the swedes, the french, etc...and they've never stopped making them. Whats more, apples aren't native to america, they had to be brought from europe.

Therefore, I submit this expression to be changed to pumpkin pie. Pumpkins ARE native to north america so pumpkin pies did not exist before people came to it and they pretty much eat it nowhere else but America (some in canada though i didnt have a pumpkin pie until i went to the US, for the record? Meh, ill eat it because ill eat anythign with a fair amount of sugar in it, but it's one of my least favorite kind of pie for sure) even though the earliest records of it as a recipe was from France (well cause they brought them back from the colonies)

Still when i think pumpkin pie, i think America. When i think apple pie, i think many countries including but not limited to america. Give the world its apple pies back, America!

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Take your damn communist lies back to Ukraine!

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

American as Apple Pie because it came from all over? Eh, eh? Totally makes sense!

4. Syxz_ML

Syxz_ML

Only in America would we associate ourselves by a type of food. So I offer for a new slogan

"As American as......obesity" ? Lol

No but I agree on the pumpkin pie bit. Do think that's American made and more appropriate

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Apple Pie is traditionally served at Independence Day picnics and events.

The apple pie predates our country's settlement by hundreds of years, writes Lee Edwards Benning in Cook's Tales.

From all historical accounts, it seems that fruit pies as we now know them were invented by the Pennsylvania Dutch. Women in the southeastern counties of the state made delicious, crispy pies encasing every fruit in the region.

Colonists loved pie so much they ate it for every meal, but, notably, not every farmer could afford it. Thus, pies evolved into a symbol of status.

It is the fruition of this unique, thick, two-crusted apple pie, rather than the thin, one-crust English pie, in which we invest our pride. Ever wonder why July 4th parties are marked by apple pies? It’s a carryover from first Independence Day celebrations when the apple pie was at its peak importance to Americans.

"As American as apple pie" implies the improvement of what was once British; it is the mark of prosperity, freedom, and status as the apple pie represented to our ancestors. It is not a mistaken saying or an ignorant remark. It’s about the thick, two-crusted pie we made; the pie our ancestors longed for and cherished in their free homeland. It’s about patriotism and struggle to be an American, to live the American dream.

http://learn.uvm.edu/foodsystem/shore_applepie.html

7. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Hilarious posts! Without meaning to detract from my compatriot's thread, I submit we change Canada's national game from lacrosse :confused: to hockey!

8. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

As American as Fender bass guitars. Howzat?

9. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

As American as Dixieland jazz.

10. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome

I thought we did that already. And then recently changed it again, this time to Facebooking.

11. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I saw this and knew who had posted it without looking at the name. I don't know why, just that "must be Milk" popped in my head. Followed by "yep, was right."

As a true blue 'merican I submit that both the apple pie and pumpkin pie are awesome. And that TB threads about food are even more awesome.

[​IMG]

12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

HA HA HA!!!

13. slobake

Just for the record there are a number of things people say that don't make sense to me:

As cute as a button. A button? I mean I like buttons they keep my shirt closed and all that but cute? Why is a button cute?

I'm gonna punch you in the nose. In the nose? Don't you need a really small fist for that?

Thank you so much? So much? How much is so much?

And my favorite: I just want to ask you a quick question. Quick question? Why is it always a quick question? Why not tell the truth. I want to take up a lot of your time asking a series of complicated questions and I'm going to interrupt you with another question before you can complete the answer.

There is lots more where that came from but I don't want to see the dreaded TLDR.

14. fmoore200

fmoore200

I think the title "Pointless Thread..." was a good tip to who the author was [/rimshot]

15. TheAdrift

TheAdrift

To be fair, America no longer leads the world in obesity! That honor now belongs to Mexico--or, if we're not just talking about more populous nations, Nauru.

I approve of this 3438301%; let's make it a thing!

EDIT: I don't think you need a small fist to punch someone in the nose--you just need good enough aim to hit them in the nose, rather than some other part of their face.

16. Milk

Milk

What are you talking about? America was founded by americans. That came...from...America. Are you saying immigrants can be Americans? That's just silly.

Anyway, thanks mellow for the clarification of the origin of the expression and explanation of the apple pie's place in American history.

I'd still prefer as American as pumpkin pie. To me it's more American somehow.

I guess because my mom made a lot of apple pies and im French Canadian. And goddam if French (or anglo) Canadians don't eat a lot of those too.

17. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

IN the nose = inside or up the nose. Small hands are a must.

ON the nose = any hand will do.

18. Milk

Milk

19. slobake

How about this one: "So, to make a long story short." Okay, you have just admitted that it is a long story plus I am in stupor from listening to the insipid details of your gall bladder operation for the last 20 minutes and now you are going to make it short? Not possible unless you have a time machine in your pocket and can go back and start over.

How about this one: "What, you want your cake and eat it too?" What kind of a stupid thing is that to say? What else am I going to do with cake? Make it into a hat and walk in the Easter parade?

20. TheAdrift

TheAdrift

OHHHH, I see. Yes, I suppose you would need tiny hands. And very, VERY good aim! I imagine that even for someone with the correct hand specifications, those little nostrils would be hard to hit.

21. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    It's ours because we say it is and we have more guns than you.

Whaddaya gonna do about it? :p