poisoned by a six string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danharris, Dec 26, 2013.

1. danharris

danharris

About 2 months ago i was gassing pretty bad...so I ordered a sixer from long and mcquade. the first week was terrible. strings too close together. always getting lost, left hand really sore. I was having trouble playing the easiest grooves.

..well its 2 months later and i dont get lost anymore, my left hand feels fine, and i cant live without my high chord voiceings or my booming low B. My nicest and most favorite bass has been retired to its case for a few weeks now and the new 6er is in the living room for daily noodling. I dont know if I can ever go back to my old 4 bangers.

anyone else move to a 6er and retire their old 4 and 5s

what 6er are you playing? or gassing at?

Who else makes a fair priced 6er? I noticed Yamaha makes a nice one for about $1000.

i went with an Ibanez gsr256. because it was
    A)cheap, just over $300
    B)delivered to my door with a reasonable return policy
    C)Ibanez...though not my favorite brand, after a decent setup and new strings even the cheapest ibbys play nice.

2. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Love my Gecko 6's, still play the 4 stringers quite a bit, but sold my 5 string because for some reason the 5 never felt right while both 4 and 6 string basses feel quite natural. :ninja:
    [​IMG]

3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I purchased a beautiful Ibanez 6 string here earlier in the year. It will never replace my P Bass..but I really like it and have enjoyed the different voicing. It's surprisingly comfortable and easy to play... the guy I purchased it from had it set up to my perfection. I have used it on a few shows late in the show/3rd set...

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

You have no idea what 6 string gas is!

Alembic Epic (fretless 6)
    Ken Smith 6
    Modulus TBX 6 Tone to die for.
    ESP LTD B206-SM (Little over $400 new. VERY COOL)
    Ibanez SR506 (very nice and $225 used)
    Ibanez SR 206 (amazing tone and only $175 used)
    SX Fender clone 6 (fretless) I love this thing!
    Sx Fender clone 6 (flats)
    SX Fender clone 6 (rounds)
    Harmonia Chinese junker fretless ABG 6.

Plan was to convert one of the Ibanez (probably the SR206) to fretless.

And no I don't go back to 4s. I felt the limitation of 4s back when that was all there was! Nobody plays in Eb???? But 5s are no problem. I found that I never learned to properly play a 5 (no, virginia it is NOT just a 4 string with a few extra low notes) until I got a 6 and mastered it. Now a 5er is just like playing a 6er but you have to forget about your high chord voicings and stratospheric solos.

A 6 string forces you to do all the right things. Thumb on back of wide neck, careful damping of all strings, cross-neck scales, low notes used tastefully etc. After that 5 or 6 doesn't so much matter.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Systolic

Systolic

I feel like I always have 6 string GAS. I've had a couple. Never been thrilled with what i've had though. Had a Peavey Grind BXP 6 and actually a really nice Schecter Studio 6. I always end up selling them or trading them off. Yet I continue to have GAS for one! It's maddening. Playing the 5's that I love has pretty much made me retire my 4's as it is. I think if I can find a 6 i love, i'll be right there with you.

Side question:

I see a lot of love for the ESP B206-SM but little to none for the B416 or even the B1006. Why? The two nicer ones have nicer grover tuners as well EMG pups and preamp. I'm confused by this.

7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Wow. My experience exactly. I almost could have written that myself.

As to the OP's question: for a while, I swore I was going to be strictly a 6-string man and that's it. A few years ago, I found myself jonesing for that old 4-string vibe. It was like returning to an old friend. I've actually added a couple to the arsenal since.

For gigging, recording, and other types of "real" playing? Oh yeah, 6-string all the way. But I still love to play 4-bangers at jams and whatnot. (This is not to imply that there's anything "amateurish" about 4-string, lest the ghosts of Jamerson and Jaco come back and kick the crap out of my sorry butt. :D Just my personal preference is all.:))

I also recently added another spice to my kitchen: an 8-string bass, tuned in octave pairs. I use it on about half of our material now. Playing it is just like playing a 4-string, in terms of fingerboard knowledge. So it was good to keep those mental chops up.

As for your other questions (what sixer do I play, and who else makes a fair-priced sixer), the answer is the same. Carvin. The one in the top photo was bought new, and was fairly pricey. The bottom one was purchased used for $650 US, including the case. A basic, no frills LB76 such as the one in the second pic goes for about a grand new.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Jensby design

Jensby design

I went to a 6 because I wanted more low end I tune F#BEADG try that for 14 years and a 4-string bass just feels like a guitar.

9. bassbenj

bassbenj

I guess you don't get around enough. There is LOTS of love for ESP LTD.

There was a thread here recently started by someone who bought a B1006. The main difference between that one and mine is mine is ash and bolt-on and the B1006 is mahogany (sweet!), neck-through and costs nearly a grand. No matter. The new owner drooled all over himself describing the boutique quality of the thing. While I love a maple on mahogany bass (My Alembic is flamed maple on mahogany), in my case I was more taken with the little over $400 price tag for a brand new 6er and once I felt the neck in my hands I knew I was leaving the store with it!

10. locisbrelm

locisbrelm Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Bass
    I jump between my 4 string and 6 string daily, and even in the middle of writing/jam sessions. I take advantage of their different characteristics. Both instruments have helped me play the other better because of that. It's also easy to jump between them now, I just pick a bass and adjust as such. I always find myself saying "there's nothing that plays like a 4 string," then turn around and say "there's nothing that plays like a 6 string!" Lol

It's also amazing to see how much of a 4 string fingerboard you can fill up after transposing a 6 string song to it.

11. F#BEADG? I've never thought of this. Is the E the bottom E on a 4 string - if so, surely the F# is just a flapper? If this is tuned the octave up, then how do the octave too high strings sound? Can't get my head around this?

12. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

E is the bottom E on a 4, so it's tuned like a 5 string but with the F# below the B, not floppy if you use the right strings, I think I used to use a 166 on a 35" scale bass.

13. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Nobody has mentioned the Peavey Cirrus 6?! It is a great 6-string. And can usually be found for less than $1,000.

I don't miss my old Yamaha TRB-6P. I REALLY like my Cirrus 6.

14. Systolic

Systolic

Hmmm, must have missed that one. I definitely know there is love for the LTD's and I see a lot of love for the B206 specifically. I just don't see nearly as much for the two higher models. Multiple of the large retailers don't even carry them.

15. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I bought the Warwick 88' Thumb NT cause I liked the 5 so much. Blown away by how nice the 6 plays and sounds. I've been playing Jazz 4s for years prior to this one before I decided to make the change. Went back to my Jazz a month or so ago, and refell in love with the tone/growl/snarl. I'd never part with it (or the other 4 guitars) as it and all my others have characteristics that I appreciate even more now. The other thing is that playing the 5s and the 6 (as well as a fretless 5) has really inspired me and I'm now doing stuff on the 4 that I was never doing before for whatever reason.

Attached Files:

16. danharris

danharris

yeah, im noticing im playing different now. not just on B and C, but my whole mental fretboard has changed. for whatever reason im inspired to play more and different things. any bass that inspires you to play is a good bass. im working on my first build (it a 5er) and im torn between stringing it EADGC or BEADG. i dont want to give up either string. thats why i feel like im stuck on the 6er.

17. Jensby design

Jensby design

:D You may want to sit on a toilet when you click on this link http://www.circlekstrings.com/store/ you might do something involuntary ;)

18. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

I am poisoned by the six.. Switched over a few years ago, written songs that can't be played on a 4, when I play a 4, I feel like i'm missing a limb, I can never go back now