Pole piece issues?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fretlessman71, Jun 30, 2013.

1. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

I've done all the measurements, and I'm convinced I can convert my Mexican jazz v to a 6 string bass. I have a bridge picked out, and I will have a nut made from brass. It just occurred to me though... My pickups, spaced for a 5 string, might make some of the notes and strings and strings quieter or louder... Or is the magnetic field enough so I don't have to worry about it?
  2. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

I'm on my Obviously something got lost in the translation with the But it ought to provide for a little extra interest as well as a good laugh for two at my expense. :-
  3. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

4. fretlessman71

fretlessman71

Let me rephrase, now that I can TYPE it:

My Fender style J pickups have the traditional 2-poles-per-string configuration. Will 6 strings going across 10 poles be an issue?
  5. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

I'm willing to bet it'll be just fine. I have a close-spaced five-string with traditional four-pole Stingray pups, and it works almost perfectly (I can sometimes detect a faintness to the middle string, which naturally lies exactly between polepieces, but it's not enough to matter in practice). Your pickups, with the double-poles-per-string, will be more forgiving than mine.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

it'll be less obvious if the pickups are kept a little further from the strings.

also, 2 thread bumps in 20 minutes? relax, dude ! :)
  7. thebandcircle

thebandcircle

It all depends on your ears. I would probably hear some strange distortion. Then someone who knows a thing or two would explain that the spacing is off, and designed for another instrument. If I hear dead spots or phase issues, it bugs me.
  8. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Fender used 6-pole Strat pickups on the MusicMaster? bass, but they were slick enough to use covers without holes so people wouldn't panic.
  9. Cyborg

Cyborg

It'll probably work OK but you won't know until you try it.

Also, you can always change out the "pole" based pickups with "bar" based pickups, such as EMG.