Police Helicopter crashes on pub mid-gig

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by albertofrog, Nov 30, 2013.

1. albertofrog

albertofrog

2. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

Whenever I see Police helicopter I think of the expression 'when pigs fly'.
  3. wmheilma

wmheilma

Holy crap! That's terrible! We can now stop complaining about the crooked door guys, cheesy club owners, and agents on the take! At least no helicopter crashed on us!
  4. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Saw the news last night, but at that point there were no reported fatalities. S**t :(

It was a bit of a panic on a few levels last night, I've seen the band (a ska act) a few times and know many people who go to their gigs and I've got friends in the Police who often operate from those helicopters.

Hats off to the people of Glasgow, bystanders were over getting into crash and helping the helicopter crew and folk in the pub were getting out in a human chain so folks wouldn't be left behind (though there must have been some people trapped too). Not a bunch of people to take a tragedy sitting down.
  5. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones.... Supporting Member

Guys there are between 3 and 6 people dead in Glasgow and over 30 hurt and hospitalised.

Information has not been released yet, but some of the dead may be the two police officers and pilot who were doing their job of keeping the streets safe for those who were out enjoying a Friday night gig.

It gives me immense pride in my fellow countrymen, that eye witness reports say that when the helicopter crashed, people in the area ran towards the pub to help, not away from it.

Thoughts are with all involved. Respect.
  6. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Hopefully the number of fatalities isn't going to grow, in part, I'm quite surprised that it wasn't much higher.
  7. MartinG1957

Agree, mohawk, seems incredible that there was no explosion or fire.
    My wife has family who live very close to the crash site - luckily all well.
  8. hairyhaw

hairyhaw

Played this pub about three weeks ago and was due to play again just after Xmas.

Awful, awful thing to happen.
  9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

10. MartinG1957

Just saw a statement from Cheif Constable confirming 32 hospitalised and 1 fatality but this is expected to rise.
  11. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Westboro Baptist Church claiming that God caused this because gay marriage is being legalised.

Simmering rage.
  12. MartinG1957

That's that all cleared up then, so glad those moronic bigots chose to share with us their unique, obviously two way dialogue with whatever they believe passes for a deity
    - I join you with contempt and anger for such pathetic examples of creation.
  13. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

+1

It just beggars belief that people who purport to be christians would even contemplate using such an utter tragedy and warp it to fit their own myopic agenda.

Shame on them.

All thoughts go out to those bereaved and injured
  14. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Hate to see this kind of thing, but it's good that so many rushed to help. I only saw a few photos and it looked like the chopper fell through the roof, but the rotor may not have continued to spin- this could be from a fuel/mechanical failure or the pilot may have shut it down, knowing they were going to crash, hoping to avoid more deaths.

Re: the comments from the idiots at Westborough- the Earth should open and swallow them.
  15. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

An eye witness on the news was getting into his car in a nearby car park, says it sounded like a car breaking down, but louder and he saw the helicopter falling "like a stone", tumbling end over end.
  16. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Sad to be sure. I've always felt if they came to protest a funeral I was attending for a vet, I'd exercise my right to a day in court for assault after I punched one of them out.

Either way, the best way to handle this kind of stupidity is to give it as little attention is necessary so I'll shut up about them.

So sorry to her about the crash. I heard mention of a police helicopter crash while channel surfing last night but this is the first actual info I've seen on it. Sounds like things would have been much worse if not for the quick reaction of the locals.

Hats off to those who responded and positive thoughts for the injured
  18. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

So sad. There was another fatal helicopter crash over London not too long ago where another chopper fell out of the sky killing it's pilot and somebody who was just on their way to work. When you ponder on just how you might meet your own death, having a helicopter crash onto you while you are just going about your normal day is scarcely credible.

Since when helicopters crash, they nearly always crash catastrophically- as we've also seen over the North Sea, I'm beginning to question whether they should really be overflying busy cities at all.

Oh, and Agent77, since the police who were in the helicopter are almost certainly amongst the 8 fatalities, would you care to retract your crass statement?

My dad died 7 years ago come this 18th December, so I know the heart wrenching emptiness and grief that 8 families will go through this Christmas. I can't begin to find the words to express my sympathy for those bereaved.
  19. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I feel for the families of the victims.
  20. MartinG1957

While the Westboro crowd spout their bile - the Glasgow Taxi drivers put out a general notice on social media to let anyone who has an involved relative in hospital know that they will bring them in and out to visit their loved ones at no charge.

Who do you think their God is proud of tonight?