1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Polish, oil, varnish in bass guitar neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kirov, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Kirov

Kirov

Hello to everyone, this is my first post here, i'm from Argentina, so I apologize for any mistakes with my english.

I have a squier vintage modified bass guitar, and I would like to know if there's any way to get that silky feel on the neck, like on the old 60's jazz bass from fender or the 70's musicman stingray. I don't know if they use other type of wood on cheaper basses like mine, or if they put a special material over the neck, because is not just only the feel, it also looks very diferent. So, if there's any way that I can get that smooth texture on my bass neck let me know, many thanks for reading.

PS: I didn't see any other posts with the same topic, if there's an older one just send me the link, but I'll really appreciate if someone could give me an advice in this post.
  2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Use a light abrasive on the neck to scuff the finish ...that creates the same effect as hand wear over a period of years.

Go EASY on it. Don't get too energetic.